Diminuative Deuce Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
I flew my Flis Kits Diminuative Deuce at the NEFAR, Bunnell, Florida launch today. I built it with a different nose cone and fins. The engine mount was built as per the instructions.
No flight pics, the Deuce really moved on two MMX engines. Eric Truax estimated it got 150 feet, but I'm not sure. The ejection was on the way up!

Sorry the pic is a little out of focus, the camera focused on the tents in the distance.

July 10 Launch 010.jpg

Interesting look. Is that patterned after a particular rocket? The fins and color look *familiar*, but I can't place it...

To Jim Flis:
I really wasn't trying to pattern it after an Alpha, that's just the way it turned out. The paint pattern isn't copied from any that I can remember. I did split the orange and black fins, they don't alternate between the fins. Two orange fins face one engine mount, two black fins face the other mount.
Each fin is the same color on both sides.
Sometimes I'll paint the nose cone separation color below the body tube end. From a few feet away it gives the impression of a much longer nose cone. Not a new idea or my idea - sometimes it just fits the model.

To Eric:
Who knows, maybe it was 150 feet. I'm not going to argue with anyone who says my rocket got 50 feet higher than it did.
If only those MMX engines had two seconds of delay then it would have went at least 160 feet!

Dim Deuce.jpg

Last edited:
To Jim Flis:
I really wasn't trying to pattern it after an Alpha, that's just the way it turned out. The paint pattern isn't copied from any that I can remember. I did split the orange and black fins, they don't alternate between the fins. Two orange fins face one engine mount, two black fins face the other mount.
Each fin is the same color on both sides.
Sometimes I'll paint the nose cone separation color below the body tube end. From a few feet away it gives the impression of a much longer nose cone. Not a new idea or my idea - sometimes it just fits the model.

Wasn't thinking "Alpha". Something else, just can't put my finger on it... :) Looks cool though. Hope you catch a flight pic some time!

I have been reading that the MicroMaxx engines do not have much of a delay.

I have been reading that the MicroMaxx engines do not have much of a delay.

They don't! The delay is only about 1 second.
Most MMX models eject when they are going up, still in the coast phase.

There's a little extra open area on the upper end of the casing so it might be possible to extend the delay.
But, it's probably not feasible for Quest to have them made this way.
The pre-made Quest plastic MMX models are heavier and a better fit for the 1 second delays.

The FlisKits models (Kraft tube and balsa) show much better performance.
Try the Fliskit Honest John (my favorite) if you want to see what MMX engines can really do.

Latest posts

Back