Downscale Break-Away

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Here's an MMX version of my Odd'l Rockets kit - The Break-Away.

The nose cone and body tube (0.392" OD) are MMX parts from Quest. The nose cone is not a true down-scale, it's the shape they sell with the tip slightly rounded off.
The original full-size design breaks into six pieces at ejection. The MMX version only breaks into four pieces even though the two middle sections are painted to look like they break separate segments.
The couplers were made out of 1/2" sections of the main body tubing.
The interior tie-down lugs are 1/4" pieces of a Bic pen ink barrel. The 65 lb. Kevlar is tied to each lug.
The fins are cardstock laminate - 110 lb. cardstock, cereal box cardboard, 110 lb. cardstock.
It still needs a coat of clear, too rainy outside now.

The coupler fit has to be on the loose side, that MMX ejection charge is small. I hope to fly it this next week.

1 BreakAways.jpg

2 MMX BreakAway.jpg

3 Broke BreakAway.jpg

Super looking job!
I really like the paint job.

Is the break-away sort of like the wacky wiggler? I did a micro of it a while back call the WeeWackyWiggles but haven't been completely happy with the flights... It doesn't seems to want to completely seperate into all 6 segments, there are usually one or two in the middle of the stack that want to say connected? Perhaps I should have stopped at 4 seperating sections as well.
It's made with standard T3 (.375") bodytube and T2++ (.316") tube as couplers, I believe I used 1/16" basswood for the fins and custome turned T3 basswood NC. all held together with 50lb kevlar line. the covering is some funky adhesive backed wrapping paper I found at Micheals and waterbased brush-on craft paint I can't even remember the name of.
Still wiggles pertty will on the way down LOL!!!

MM 322a02c-sm_MM WeeWackyWiggler 3pic_09-23-06.jpg

Last edited:
Downscale Break Away .. DooBee?!

-- Roger

Last edited:
Is the break-away sort of like the wacky wiggler? I did a micro of it a while back call the WeeWackyWiggles but haven't been completely happy with the flights... It doesn't seems to want to completely seperate into all 6 segments, there are usually one or two in the middle of the stack that want to say connected? Perhaps I should have stopped at 4 seperating sections as well.

Yes, it's somewhat like the OOP Wacky Wiggler, except the (full-size) Break Away couplers fit much better. The rocket won't go to pieces before you reach the launcher. Many of the Odd'l Rockets designs are suitable for smaller fields, low drift keeps them closer.

I flew it this morning along with four other MMX rockets. The MMX Break Away flew great, except the ejection separated the model into three parts, not quite four.
One of the others flown was the Quest (plastic brick) MMX Saucer. It must have got to an incredible 20 feet! I almost feel like I wasted an engine.

Roger - I should have thought of the Doo-Bee name, but I'll give you full credit for that one.

And to John B - :roll: you-too!

Just in case someone reading this thread doesn't understand why I gave Chris's latest creation the name "DooBee" for "Downscale Break Away" instead of the more obvious "DeeBee." The reason is that I think Chris's little Break Away is really a down scale of my "Upscale Break Away" (or "YouBee") ... YouBee ... DooBee!

4000.jpg

I hadn't finished painting the YouBee when the above photo was taken. The fins are now black.

-- Roger

Back