Dr. Zooch Space Shuttle finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Next up in today's "Finish the half-built models":

I finally finished up the Dr. Zooch Shuttle. I want to clear out the "half-built" box and this was the next one up.

I started it about a year ago and set it aside after trying to form the Orbiter nose. As I usually do, I'd scanned the wraps and this time printed off 3 more Shuttle nose patterns. I glued together all three and picked the one that fit best over the front of the Payload Bay body.

I realize the External Tank color is probably a little too dark. The color of the spray can cap seemed lighter than what came out of the can.

I've yet to add the elastic over the elevator. It's going to be a tight fit getting the elevator elastic around the nozzles, but it's do-able.
With a needle nose file, three small holes were drilled into the back of Spar #5 for the (optional) nozzles. This gave a stronger TTW hold instead of just surface mounting.

It'll fly down the road - I have too many others to get in the air.

Zooch Shuttle 1.jpg

Zooch Shuttle 2.jpg

Zooch Shuttle 3.jpg

Last edited:
Both your and Luke's builds look great and do justice to the Dr.'s kits.

Someplace on the archive there is a thread that the Dr. himself wrote where he details how he got the tank color "just right". It involved 3 different shades of yellow and orange and rust red.

I think yours looks great, however, and shouldn't be aplolgized for.

very nice!
Zooch's STS is a great flyer, final got her up on a C last month (she's really nice on B's too). It was very nice, My orbiter has a homing radar, it always lands pretty close to me which makes recovery easy.

You're SSME's came out very nice I need to go back and add them to mine.

Be sure and check your orbiter's CG. Use a piece of thread and a small hunk of masking tape. Measure back from the tip of the nose 3 and 9/16 inches. You should tape the string there on the line of the cargo bay doors. Holding the orbiter by the string it should appear to hang in a level attitude.

By adding support to the SSMEs and other such things you can easily throw off the CG. Hand tossing will tell the story.

Next up in today's "Finish the half-built models":

I finally finished up the Dr. Zooch Shuttle. I want to clear out the "half-built" box and this was the next one up.

I started it about a year ago and set it aside after trying to form the Orbiter nose. As I usually do, I'd scanned the wraps and this time printed off 3 more Shuttle nose patterns. I glued together all three and picked the one that fit best over the front of the Payload Bay body.

I realize the External Tank color is probably a little too dark. The color of the spray can cap seemed lighter than what came out of the can.

I've yet to add the elastic over the elevator. It's going to be a tight fit getting the elevator elastic around the nozzles, but it's do-able.
With a needle nose file, three small holes were drilled into the back of Spar #5 for the (optional) nozzles. This gave a stronger TTW hold instead of just surface mounting.

It'll fly down the road - I have too many others to get in the air.
man that looks awesome:) Luke did a great job as well. I hope you get an opportunity to fly it soon:)
Cheers
fred

Roger Doc.

mine is a bit nose heavy as is, lots of elevator as we've previously discussed, thanks for the balancing tip though. I gotta get my 1b finished first.

Be sure and check your orbiter's CG. Use a piece of thread and a small hunk of masking tape. Measure back from the tip of the nose 3 and 9/16 inches. You should tape the string there on the line of the cargo bay doors. Holding the orbiter by the string it should appear to hang in a level attitude.

By adding support to the SSMEs and other such things you can easily throw off the CG. Hand tossing will tell the story.

Back