Cox - Space Shuttle America (#5200) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Welcome to the Cox Space Shuttle America (#5200) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Cox Space Shuttle America (#5200) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Cox: Space Shuttle America: #5200

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Cox Space Shuttle America (#5200) Basic Information.

cox%20trf.gif
Cox

MODEL NAME: Space Shuttle America Also known as:

NUMBER: #5200

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Boost Glider
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Glide + Glide + Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Space Shuttle America has outer orbit style excitement. NASA has developed the concept of a hypersonic transport carrying shuttlecraft to the edge of space where the shuttle leaves the mother ship and heads for an orbiting space station with a cargo of men and materials. The shuttlecraft then can return to earth to make a conventional landing at an airstrip. Cox's Space Shuttle America blasts-off, climbs to altitude, then separates, with the mother ship returning to earth on a parachute and the two shuttlecraft gliding in a circular path to a perfect landing. Complete with modernistic transport, two detailed delta-wing re-entry gliders, engine retainer ring, flameproof ejection wadding, and extra detailing decals. the re-entry gliders are also designed for catapult launching (hand held launcher included). (Cox 1972 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

cox-space%20shuttle%20america%205200-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1972 Catalog
cox-space%20shuttle%20america%205200-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1990 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

cox-space%20shuttle%20america%205200-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here is mine. I haven't flown it yet.

Cox_Space_Shuttle_America.jpg

The decals are a bit different compared to the 1972 and 1990 catalog pictures.

Last edited:
Here is mine. I haven't flown it yet.

COX_Space_Shuttle_America.jpg

The decals are a bit different compared to the 1972 and 1990 catalog pictures.

That's beautiful!

When I started some of those gallery pages, I had little hope of actually seeing "real examples" of many of them. This was one of those.

Now I see not only a real example, I see it wonderfully done! That makes it worthwhile.

Thanks.

Here is my Shuttle America
Do you have, can you share, any additional information, such as instructions, etc.?

Maybe post up some more photos of the individual components, how the gliders attach to the body and how they deploy at ejection?

Do you have, can you share, any additional information, such as instructions, etc.?

Maybe post up some more photos of the individual components, how the gliders attach to the body and how they deploy at ejection?
The Gliders have slots at their rear, which engage hooks on the rear of the booster rocket. The nose of each glider has a small opening and pins on the nose cone insert into those ports, securing the gliders in place. At ejection, the nose cone is blown off, releasing the gliders.

Instructions in PDF file, at botttom.

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg

Attachments

• COX - SPACE SHUTTLE AMERICA INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
    308.9 KB · Views: 1
Well, the one on eBay is gone . . .

I just bought it, specifically to accurately measure it and post drawings to the Forum.

I believe that, given the route I intend to pursue, that it will be possible to accurately recreate the "Space Shuttle America", using paper tubes, balsa, etc., resulting in a MUCH lighter model than the HEAVY Cox version, with Gliders that will ACTUALLY GLIDE !

For you 3-D modelers, I will make every effort to accurately measure and draw this rocket to scale, by hand ( I'm "old school" ) . . .

STAY TUNED !

Dave F.

1688831587568.png

Last edited:
Well, the one on eBay is gone . . .

I just bought it, specifically to accurately measure it and post drawings to the Forum.

I believe that, given the route I intend to pursue, that it will be possible to accurately recreate the "Space Shuttle America", using paper tubes, balsa, etc., resulting in a MUCH lighter model than the HEAVY Cox version, with Gliders that will ACTUALLY GLIDE !

For you 3-D modelers, I will make every effort to accurately measure and draw this rocket to scale, by hand ( I'm "old school" ) . . .

STAY TUNED !

Dave F.

View attachment 590998
Dog like dedication to the craft. Looking forward to your deep dive.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. Great subject to update.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. Great subject to update.
My goal is to accurately measure the rocket, produce scale drawings, and patterns, to permit the construction of practical, lightweight models that "actually glide", using paper body tubes, balsa, and, perhaps, a couple of other materials.

Everything must be done well enough to not only allow an accurate reproduction of the original model, but to facilitate easy up-scaling / down-scaling, as well.

I imagine that the "3-D Printer" modelers may be interested, too . . .

If there are any "Decal Guru's" out there, your skills will be much needed here !

Dave F.

I hope the way you're talking about rebuilding this rocket glider comes true.
As you can see from the picture, I have one of the originals and I only flue it once. The gliders were like bricks.
The second time around they didn't use the original decals. This was the one ESTES sold. I like the first batch of decals the best.
If there's anything I can help you with let me know.

Attachments

• Cox 2.jpg
    Cox 2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1
As you can see from the picture, I have one of the originals and I only flue it once. The gliders were like bricks.
The second time around they didn't use the original decals. This was the one ESTES sold. I like the first batch of decals the best.
Even in the old release, at some point the decals changed, as can be seen in the pre Estes at the Smithsonian collection. And just like the later Estes Release, they were stick on, and tended to lift.
https://www.si.edu/es/object/rocket-flying-model-space-shuttles:nasm_A19930711000 1688924593578.png

What I have in mind for the Gliders and Booster will require some scratch-building skills, as the only "commercial" parts will be body tubes and the nose cone.

The entire model, especially the Gliders, should be significantly lighter than the original plastic parts.

If there are any "Decal Guru's" out there, your help will be greatly appreciated !

Dave F.

Last edited:
@Ez2cDave , or @lakeroadster , would this thread get more attention if duplicated to the glider forum? Obviously your call to request that from moderators.

At least the recent 2023 posts would IMO be better served (pun intended) in the glider section.

@Ez2cDave , or @lakeroadster , would this thread get more attention if duplicated to the glider forum? Obviously your call to request that from moderators.

At least the recent 2023 posts would IMO be better served (pun intended) in the glider section.

Actually, once it arrives, my plan is to start a new thread in the Glider section, since the origin of this thread is 2009.

Dave F

Back