SCALE - Gemini Titan Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
This one dates back to the late 1960's. I don't remember why I bought the kit but I had some interest in it. But then the clear fins turned out to be a turnoff for me so I decided to kit bash it into my own creation. I built the engine mounts with their original detail, but I cut off the escape portion of the capsule to create a truncated cone and designed some fins for it. I've flown it a good number of times and it flies very well on a pair of 18mm engines.

IMG_2127b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cloned a GTII from info on JimZ, YORF, and parts by Semroc. I used lexan fins. I built it a couple months ago, but between burn bans and the Oklahoma wind, I haven't flown it yet.

GTII_w_Fins.jpg

GTII_woFins.jpg

I cloned a GTII ... I used lexan fins. I built it a couple months ago, but between burn bans and the Oklahoma wind, I haven't flown it yet.

That looks very good, and the fins are barely visible in your photo. In a launch photo the fins probably wouldn't even show up. When I was about 14 I didn't have the patience to mess with the clear fins.

Wouldn't there be some way to make a Titan (Scale) with no fins, but wieghts at different places, and a relatively light motor (compared to the nose weight)?

That looks very good, and the fins are barely visible in your photo. In a launch photo the fins probably wouldn't even show up. When I was about 14 I didn't have the patience to mess with the clear fins.

me neither :) that is why I had to wait until I was 53!:wink:

here's mine - a Sheri's Hot Rockets kit ....
Flown twice on two clustered Aerotech H reloads w/ apogee deployment

Gemini Titan Sheris kit.jpg

This one dates back to the late 1960's. I don't remember why I bought the kit but I had some interest in it. But then the clear fins turned out to be a turnoff for me so I decided to kit bash it into my own creation. I built the engine mounts with their original detail, but I cut off the escape portion of the capsule to create a truncated cone and designed some fins for it. I've flown it a good number of times and it flies very well on a pair of 18mm engines.

I believe your "Kit" was a Titan-II kit Not a the Gemini-Titan. Both used the same twistlock clear fin unit that has been working on these models for some time LOL! I've even adapted one of these fin attachments for use on an Scale Mercury-Atlas.

All in all not they weren't all that bad. but being acrylic plastic a hard landing usually would cause some damage.

010-sm_ Titan II 73.3 scale_03-22-83.jpg

027-sm_Gemini Titan 73.3 scale_05-21-89.jpg

Here's mine: Another Sheri's Hot Rockets Gemini Titan. It's not nearly as detailed as the one above, but it still looks nice on the pad.

It flew several times on 2 SU G motors until one didn't light and it crashed. Since then, it's been retired.

426564142_AXNah-L-1.jpg

426564192_zED8D-L-1.jpg

Wouldn't there be some way to make a Titan (Scale) with no fins, but weights at different places, and a relatively light motor (compared to the nose weight)?

Theoretically a body can be made aerodynamically stable without fins, probably as you mentioned by moving the CG way forward. In fact I seem to remember cone-shaped rockets with no fins. I wonder if any of the simulation software would pass it for stable without fins. It might be difficult to make this practical though. The amount of nose weight required might overwhelm 18mm engines, upscaling it a bit might allow it to work on D12's or 24mm composite motors. As-is it is a fairly light rocket, but upscaling it would make the airframe heavier.

As bjphoenix mentions In theory possibly; in reality... NO it doesn't work well at all. There are way too Many disturbing factors in the air.

Cones are a far cry from the smooth cylinder of a rocket body. Arrows used to Not have fins.. all weight forward giving sort of Pull along stability after leaving the bow... but with continuing thrust in the rear not a good combination.

Adding a little clear plastic to the model makes for a safe and stable way of flying finless Scale models.

Micromeister said:
As bjphoenix mentions In theory possibly; in reality... NO it doesn't work well at all. There are way too Many disturbing factors in the air.

Cones are a far cry from the smooth cylinder of a rocket body. Arrows used to Not have fins.. all weight forward giving sort of Pull along stability after leaving the bow... but with continuing thrust in the rear not a good combination.

Adding a little clear plastic to the model makes for a safe and stable way of flying finless Scale models.

Continuing thrust in the rear doesn't really affect stability that much. Rockets without fins would be difficult because (as stated above) the amount of nose weight needed to make one stable would makeit almost too heavy to fly. In addition, that much nose weight would give the rocket a large moment of inertia, but it would only be able to generate a relatively small aerodynamic restoring moment, so it would have the unfortunate combination of both being quite heavy and needing a fairly high speed for stability. Finally, I doubt that it would have much damping, and as a result, I think it would probably oscillate, cone, or do something similar on the way up. Yes, it would be stable, but it wouldn't fly well.

My original Estes Gemini-Titan. I built it, but never painted it, in the late 70s. About ten years back I finally finished it and built the fins.

It crashed -- I used two B4-4 which had too long a delay -- right after the picture was taken.

I repaired the damage to the cowl but need to re-build the plastic fin unit.

titan_pose_hi.jpg

Welcome to the SCALE Gemini Titan Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Gemini Titan and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Gemini-Titan: K-21 or #1221
Estes: Gemini Titan: #1978
Neubauer: Gemini Titan (4"):
Neubauer: Micro Gemini Titan:
Sheri's Hot Rockets: Gemini Titan:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Project Gemini was the second human spaceflight program of NASA, the civilian space agency of the United States government. Project Gemini was conducted between projects Mercury and Apollo, with ten manned flights occurring in 1965 and 1966.

Its objective was to develop space travel techniques in support of Apollo, which had the goal of landing men on the Moon. Gemini achieved missions long enough for a trip to the Moon and back, perfected extra-vehicular activity (working outside a spacecraft), and orbital maneuvers necessary to achieve rendezvous and docking. All manned Gemini flights were launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida using the Titan II GLV launch vehicle

Last edited:
Estes Gemini-Titan (K-21 or #1221) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Gemini-Titan Also known as: GT-3

NUMBER: K-21 or #1221

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1973
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 2x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 24.4"
Diameter: 2.22"
Span:
Weight: 3.8 oz

Mfg. Description: Spectacular on the ground and in the air, the Gemini-Titan is a model for the expert rocketeer, a model that is a challenge to build and fly. In not-so-easy-to-assemble kit form, GT-3 is a rocket that the modeler can point to with real pride when he's finished it. Features clear plastic fins to stabilize it in flight without detracting from its appearance, full 24" parachute for soft landings. Requires 24 volt Electro-Launch or 12 volt car battery power supply for launching. Kit is complete with all parts and detailed instructions (but not engines). (Estes 1966 Catalog)

=====

1967 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog
1968 Catalog text identical to 1966 Catalog

=====

Spectacular on the ground and in the air, the Gemini-Titan is a challenge to build and fly. Requires experience to build, but the GT-3 is a rocket that the modeler can point to with real pride when he's finished it. Features clear plastic fins to stabilize it in flight without detracting from its appearance, full 24" parachute for soft landings. Requires 24 volt Electro-Launch or 12 volt car battery power supply for launching. Kit is complete with all parts and detailed instructions (but not engines). (Estes 1969 Catalog)

=====

Spectacular on the ground and in the air, the Gemini-Titan is a challenge to build and fly. Requires experience to build, but the GT-3 is a rocket that the modeler can point to with real pride when he's finished it. Features clear plastic fins to stabilize it in flight without detracting from its appearance, full 24" parachute for soft landings. Use a12 volt car battery and the Estes FS-5 (or similar launch control system) for dependable ignition. Kit is complete with all parts and detailed instructions (but not engines). (Estes 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1966%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1966 Catalog
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1967 Catalog
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1968 Catalog
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog

estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog

Face Card(s)
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-face%201.jpg
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-face%202.jpg

[Instruction Header(s)[/B]
estes-gemini%20titan%20k21-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Gemini Titan (#1978) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Gemini Titan Also known as:

NUMBER: #1978

Introduced: 1987
Final Year: 1988
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 19.375"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 2.15 oz

Mfg. Description: Estes' 1/73 scale model of NASA's Gemini-Titan (GR-3) is over 1=1/2 feet tall. Features plastic capsule and removable display nozzles. A clear plastic fin unit is attached for flights over 600 feet high. Recovery is via 12" parachute. (Estes 1987 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-gemini%20titan%201978-1987%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1987 Catalog

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Sheri's Hot Rockets Gemini Titan Basic Information.

shr.gif
Sheri's Hot Rockets (SHR)

MODEL NAME: Gemini Titan Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 2x29mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: IF YOU HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LARGE SCALE DETAILED MEDIUM/HIGH POWERED GEMINI TITAN KIT THEN THIS IS FOR YOU.!!

THIS KIT HAS NUMEROUS OUTSTANDING FEATURES:

LOTS OF PREFAB PARTS MAKE THIS KIT AN EASY QUICK BUILD:

1. 2 PIECE SOLID RESIN CAPSULE

2. 1/8 INCH THICK WALLED HEAVY DUTY MAIN BODY TUBE

3. PRECUT GLASSINE 29 MM HEAVY DUTY HIGH QUALITY MOTOR TUBES-2

4. 1/4 INCH BIRCH PLY CNC CUT CENTERING RINGS

5. CNC CUT 1/8 INCH CLEAR LEXAN FINS THAT SIMPLY SLIDE IN AND BOLT ON.

6. LIGHTWEIGHT MACHINED ALUMINUM NOZZLES!!! NOZZLES STAY ON FOR FLIGHT AND ACT AS POSITIVE MOTOR RETENTION.

7. LARGE VINYL WRAP FOR MAIN BODY GRAPHICS

8. WATERSLIDE DECALS FOR GEMINI CAPSULE

9. FULL SIZE PLANS AND COMPREHENSIVE CONSTRUCTION AND FLYING MANUAL.

10. PROVEN DESIGN WITH NUMEROUS HOURS OF DESIGNING AND FLIGHT TESTING.

11. DESIGN TO FLY ON "G" SIZE MOTORS SUCH AS THE G-80-4T BY AEROTECH. NO CERTIFICATIONS OR PERMITS REQUIRED TO PURCHASE. READILY AVAILABLE ON LINE.

12. MODEL REACHES ALTITUDE OF 550-600 FEET ON 2 G80-4T MOTORS!!!!

13. NO OTHER KIT OFFERS THESE CUSTOM FEATURES.

14. OVERALL HEIGHT IS ALMOST 53 INCHES

(SHR 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

sheris%20hot%20rocket-gemini%20titan-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
SHR 2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Neubauer Micro Gemini Titan Basic Information.

neubauer.gif
Neubauer Rockets

MODEL NAME: Micro Gemini Titan Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Length: 8.5"
Diameter: 24mm
Span:
Weight: 1.75 oz

Mfg. Description: This kit features resin cast plastic Gemini capsule, fins, and clear plastic launch lugs.

Kit is stabilized for flight using a clear plastic fin assembly.

Kit comes complete with one piece detailed body wrap.

Recovered by 9" parachute (Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

neubauer-micro%20gemini%20titan-2012%20web%20discount.jpg
Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Neubauer 4" Gemini Titan Basic Information.

neubauer.gif
Neubauer Rockets

MODEL NAME: Gemini Titan (4") Also known as: 1/30 Gemini Titan

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: This giant 4" diameter 1/30 scale kit celebrates America's first walk in space.

Resin cast capsule measures approximately 8 inches in height and is accurately detailed with surface details that include:
Two windows
Approach radar
Louvre detail

Detailing based on data resourced from 1/24 Revell kit, Miniatures In Space #2 - Gemini, and Rockets of the World (non-parallel lines are correct).

Kit includes:
Resin cast static display engine bells (removed for flight).
Vinyl decals (lettering and roll patterns)
Laser cut plywood centering rings.
Detachable fin unit with plywood fins (required for flight).
29mm motor mount tube.
Gorilla style shock cord mount.
Single 50" nylon parachute recovery.
1/4" launch lugs.
Instruction manual. (Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

neubauer-gemini%20titan%204-2012%20web%20discount.jpg
Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
My Estes clone of the Gemini Titan I bought from PDRocketry some years back before they went out of business. Nice kit, both for building and flying. Flown quite a few times using the B6-4's and C6-5's.

1929369_1082938034178_3242277_n.jpg

1929369_1082938074179_684005_n.jpg

Back