SCALE - (X Prize) Gauchito Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maricopasem

Reaction score
Here is my mod of the Estes Gauchito. I put in an 18mm MMT instead of the stock 13mm and it flies great. Additionally, I lived in Brazil for a few years and just couldn't bring myself to put the Argentine flag on a rocket of mine. I made my own decals of the Brazilian flag and painted the fins accordingly. I call it the Vaqueiro instead.

Vaqueiro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the SCALE (X Prize) Gauchito Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the (X Prize) Gauchito and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Gauchito: #0809

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Argentinan manned spacecraft. Study 2004. X-Prize suborbital ballistic spacecraft concept of Pablo De Leon of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Reached the stage of engineering tests by 2003.

Gauchito (Little Cowboy) was a concept of Pablo De Leon and Associates of Buenos Aires, Argentina. The vehicle would use a hybrid rocket powered vertical takeoff and parachute descent on water landing. Pablo de Leon was an experienced aerospace engineer, co-founder and president of the Argentine Association for Space Technology (AATE), and a graduate of the International Space University. The Gauchito was a clustered design made up of four hybrid engines producing a maximum acceleration of 3.5 G. The engines would burn until the vehicle reached an altitude of 34 km, followed by a coast to 120 km. After five minutes of weightlessness, the pilot was to orient the thermal shield for re-entry. The vehicle was recovered via parachute. De Leon flew a subscale test capsule to 30 km and conducted one-third scale rocket test firings. Testing of flight suits and other critical systems were conducted in May 2003 and a half-scale flight test of the Gauchito vehicle was conducted in June 2003.

Last edited:
Estes Gauchito (#0809) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Gauchito Also known as: Pablo de Leon & Associates Gauchito

NUMBER: #0809

Introduced: 2005
Final Year: 2007
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 8.6"
Diameter: 1.54"
Span:
Weight: 1.08 oz

Mfg. Description: A Pablo de Leon creation with a retro-looking Little Joe II design. Entered in X Prize competition lift-offs to 300 ft into the air using and Estes mini-engine. Laser cut balsa parts. 1:55 scale. (Estes 2005 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-gauchito%200809-2005%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2005 Catalog
estes-gauchito%200809-2006%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2006 Catalog
estes-gauchito%200809-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-gauchito%200809-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back