SCALE - (X Prize) Cosmos Mariner Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
The CM was one of my earliest acquisitions. I think it was listed as a skill level 2 kit. I remember thinking at the time that it was badly mislabeled. Mine took over 2 years to complete because I would get so frustrated with it that I would put it aside.

I remember that it was the very first time I ever used Elmer's FnF. It was unthinned. It took forever to sand all that goop off.

I remember being frustrated because some of the vacform parts did not align as I thought they should.

I remember being frustrated by my inability to get it trimmed even after it was built.

I also remember that it was a sweet looking kit and wishing it performed better.

I nicknamed mine, "Tort Reform". I got one "flight" out of it. It went horizontal not far off the pad and powered into the ground about 100 yards away. When the ejection charge went off, it blew the motor housing right back to the launch pad and the rocket was not salvageable.

It was a learning experience and I know that some people have built some really nice looking ones. I've even heard rumors that some people have managed to get them to perform well.

cm-done-2.jpg

CM-F1a.jpg

CM-F1c.jpg

CM-F1d.jpg

CM-F1f.jpg

Last edited:
What a cool kit. Thanks for sharing. I'm confused by the fourth pic. What is that?

What a cool kit. Thanks for sharing. I'm confused by the fourth pic. What is that?

The 4th pic is my CM flying off to its doom, slowly doing a barrel roll. Looking at the pic, it went higher than I remembered.

The last pic, if that is the one you mean, is the motor pod that ejected and blew back almost 100 yards to the launch pad after the charge went off. It was already on the ground by that time.

Although this here isnt really a CM per se, my Depron-based Maxi Space Camel is pretty similar in planform. You can even see from the second photo that I have added side panels to better 'blend in' the BT to the main wing.

This is 20" span with a main wing chord of 30", made with 3mm Depron foam, with some reinforcing here and there. The BT is made of 65# cardstock, two plys thick, and the NC is just a rolled cardstock cone.

It weighs only around 7z, with pod, and the glider empty is just over half this. This has flown on a D12 with terrific results, and since it is so light for its size, glided like crazy, actually hovering a long while in the wind that day.

I have smaller versions of this, and one I just finished that is 2x of THIS one. That will require an I284 in all likelihood once I fiberglass it.....

MaxiSpaceCamel 001.jpg

MaxiSpaceCamel 003.jpg

Welcome to the SCALE - (X Prize) Cosmos Mariner Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the X Prize Cosmos Mariner and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Cosmos Mariner: #2190

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Cosmos Mariner (#2190) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Cosmos Mariner Also known as: X-Prize Cosmos Mariner

NUMBER: #2190

Introduced: 2005
Final Year: 2008
Designer:

Type: Boost Glider :wink:
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute/Glide or Tumble
Stages: 1
Length: 18"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span: 13.5"
Weight: 8.6 oz

Mfg. Description: The Estes Cosmos Mariner is a boosted glider version of the sleek X Prize rocket plane from the Lone Star Space Access team. The rocket plane blasts off 250 ft. into the air using a powerful "D" engine. Laser cut balsa parts. 1:67 scale.

Advertising Liveries

estes-cosmos%20mariner%203290-2005%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2005 Catalog
estes-cosmos%20mariner%203290-2006%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2006 Catalog
estes-cosmos%20mariner%203290-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog

estes-cosmos%20mariner%203290-2008%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2008 Catalog

Face Card(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back