MicroMaxx Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not an Intergalactic Man of Space or a downscale Astron Spaceman, it's a scratchbuild that incorporates some elements of both. I call it the BARs Wild Ride.

It flies very well and always lands very close to the launch pad. A perfect backyard flier.

It was hand painted with acrylic craft paints, not really my best work. That's my face on the bald head.

Bars Wild Ride.jpg

Every so often I'll find a good deal on some Model Kits which allow some freedom of expression in the building.
Recently I ran into an on-line sale that I just couldn't pass up which is where I picked up both the ISM & Ulysses Fliskits.
Looking at the Ulysses fins and square styrene accent spars got me thinking about what other interesting modifications I could make without completely changing the original look.
With some Evergreen 1/2 round, a few bits of scrap tubing, some rolled computer paper do-dads and a good amount of tiny Riveting. I think i've added must a bit more interest to the kit. altering flat part of the fin pattern also seem to help my eye. I'm hoping it whistles on the way up:)

Attachments

• MM 382p01-Lg_Ulysses X-Metal Silv & Red_09-15-11.jpg
    MM 382p01-Lg_Ulysses X-Metal Silv & Red_09-15-11.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 39
Next addition to the MMX Fleet is a BT-5 size Fliskit MX020. The Buck Shot.

This Ring Tailed creation just Screamed "I Need Detailing". HO scale Rivet decals, rolled paper, Styrene rings & pipe vents along with same screen matting texture & paper flanges all help add a bit to the vehicle. Personally I thing fabricating 3 tiny 1/8" diameter flanged forward veiw portholes make the model. because most of these additions are very thin paper they didn't add much to the overall mass.
Painting to complete the Steampunk era theme started with a Gold metallic base coat, Lots of custom tiny cut masking, a bit of Silver trim and overall metallic copper topcoat with minimal extra black detail last minute.

Later I'll take a few shots of the other surfaces of this model.

Edit: IT Flys Pretty good LOL!!!

MM 383uc07b-Lg_Buck Shot Piping & Port Holes_09-24-11.jpg

MM 383uc08b-Lg_After Copper Coat & unmasking_10-09-11.jpg

MM 383Lp01b_Steampunked Buck Shot in flight_10-22-11.jpg

Attachments

• MM 383uc08a-Lg_After Gold base, Mask details_10-08-11.jpg
    MM 383uc08a-Lg_After Gold base, Mask details_10-08-11.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 37
  • MM 383uc09-Lg_Buck Shot Decal & Futured_10-10-11.jpg
    MM 383uc09-Lg_Buck Shot Decal & Futured_10-10-11.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thanks Foamy & LW:
Buck Shot was truely at fun build.

I sure wish I could get other folks to add their Micro's to the Gallery. I Know there are a bunch of our TRF folks building and flying micros... Guess they haven't seen this one? I'm mean really when I started this gallery it was intended for all Micro Maxxer's models.

I'll keep adding to it also as I build em.. Slightly Modifed 1:41.81495 Scale ASP Wac-Corporal is on the building table, along with a couple DownScale Optima varients.

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a few of the flight photos from last months sport launch.
Have to add a more nose weight to the DragonShip-7 & Micor Snarky. The Buck-Shot, Ulysses, Frank-In-Spaceman, and several others took to the fine October sky in style.

Got a new digital 35mm camera so I'm excitied to see what I can catch at our Next sport launch this weekend.

MM 380Lp01a_MM T3 Snarky on Pad (1stFlt)_10-22-11.jpg

MM 381Lp01a_Frank-in-Space-Man on pad (1st flt)_10-22-11.jpg

MM 382Lp01b_Ulysses on Pad(1st Flt)_10-22-11.jpg

MM 382Lp01c_Uylsses mid 1st Flight_10-22-11.jpg

Attachments

• MM 383Lp01b_Steampunked Buck Shot in flight_10-22-11.jpg
    MM 383Lp01b_Steampunked Buck Shot in flight_10-22-11.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 38
Micromeister said:
I sure wish I could get other folks to add their Micro's to the Gallery.
I've moved into the MMax domain as part of my build schedule, too. Do you prefer posts of just kits, or are cardmodels, downscales, etc. of interest? How about repeats of rockets others have done?

I've moved into the MMax domain as part of my build schedule, too. Do you prefer posts of just kits, or are cardmodels, downscales, etc. of interest? How about repeats of rockets others have done?

The qualifications for this gallery are that the subject is a rocket and that it uses MMX motors. Feel free to add kits, cardstock, scratch, kitbashes and probably much I have not thought of.

When you do, I'll probably ask your permission to copy some of your posts to other galleries that apply as well.

Ditto what JAL3 posted!
I started this thread to get ALL Micro models a good place to be presented. Any model that's Micro Maxx powered is welcome:)

MicroMaxx version of the Quest Cobalt. A cardmodel I made to be a minimum diameter MMax rocket.

The nose was made from a piece of plastic I turned on my lathe, and painted Rustoleum Cobalt blue to match my Cobalt paint and printed rocket. I've not yet flown it, as ther weather is sucky, but Rocksim never lies.

When you do, I'll probably ask your permission to copy some of your posts to other galleries that apply as well.
Feel free to move any that I upload.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

Last edited:
My MMax Freedom Forge cardmodel, downscaled from the Flis Freedom Forge.

The middle one is my goony version, styled as a Freedom Fish.

Not yet launched, as the weather still sucks. The nose for the MMax rocket is one that I cast.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

This is my cardmodel downscale of the NewWay 2x4. It's all paper, since I didn't need a round, ogive, elliptical, conical, or otherwise non-planar nose cone.

I scanned a piece of balsa, touched it up a bit with photoshop, and used that as the grain for the MMax cardmodel 2x4.

The mid-sized rocket is my goony 2x4, stylized to be a fighter aircraft.

The MMax rocket is still not launched until the weather gets better.

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

This is my Fliskits Ulysses, posing with it's mutant sibling, a goony Ulysses. The goony is the larger one.

The Ulysses is NOT a cardmodel - it's a real model - so I didn't make a MMax cardmodel of it since that would just be copying.

I'll be able to say how it flies once the rain stops.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 36
A MMax Wizard cardmodel and its papa, the real wizard.

The nose for the MMax is one that I cast.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

This V2 cardmodel is from Currell cardmodels, www.currell.net, made at 1/100th scale.

I use it when I make presentations in classes along side my 1/100th scale Saturns, Mercury's, Gemini's, etc.

I plumbed to fly with an MMax engine, and to be simply break-apart recovery since it's just paper.

The big daddy next to it is the BT-80 V-2 from Estes. I didn't show all of it, because I accidentally broke the top off setting it down on the floor next to me, one time. Yay! A chance to make another V-2!

IMG_0228.jpg

This is my Big Honkin Rocket from Fliskits, which of course flies on MMax engines. The little rocket, that is. The big rocket is a goony of the BHR, scaled directly up. So, it's called Tiny.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

Of course, the Fliskits Diminutive Deuce is small, and it is already an MMax rocket. It lets you use two at a time!

But, as I've indicated, I make card models and goonies of my kits (unless it wouldn't make sense). The family photo has the big goony, the papa dressed in prototype black as is presented on the Fliskits site, and the tiny blue and yellow rocket is a minimum diameter MMax cardmodel.

The up close photo is of just the two MMax rockets, the real kit with two MMax engines, and the cardmodel with just one MMax engine.

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

Yet another TOG from Fliskits. But, with a goony TOG as well.

I picked colors pretty close to the ones on the brochure and the Fliskits website. I also took inspiration from EchoVictor's paint scheme for his US TOG, here.

When I get the US TOG, the goony will get to serve double duty.

Apparently, the TOG likes to caste a Moire pattern glow when it is photographed. Cool.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

As a continuation of my building habit of making a model, a goony, and a cardmodel, I present my very recently finished Flis Mudwasp. As you can see in the photos, there is no cardmodel, as the cardmodel would have been the same as the cool Mudwasp from Fliskits, and it would have simply been copying.

For the paint schemes, I must thank WizardOfAZ in the Mudwasp Gallery thread for providing images of real life mudwasps and thunderhawks. (I assume the thunderhawk is in the wasp family. If not, I'd guess that it is from another planet.) I painted the Flis mudwasp (the smaller rocket) in the irridescent blue and black of the wasp. I painted the goony in metallic black and yellow/orange for the fins representations of the wings to emulate the thunderhawk.

The goony was made to emulate the Mudwasp's ring of tubes by using 12 BT5's wrapped around the 6" BT60 body of the goony. This fit almost exact, and only needed some thin shims which I inserted below each of the fins. It takes 18mm engines.

I had read that a micromaxx engine was barely enough to lift the Mudwasp, so I modded it to take 1 or 3 engines. The outer 2 simply blow the ejection charge out the top of the tubes. We'll see how well that works once I launch it.

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Last edited:
Nice mod on the Mudwasp (and I LOVE the gooney LOL) Keep us posted on how the extra motors help with the boost!

Had a chance to fly some Micros over the weekend. I'll upload a few of the Launch pics as I get them out of my new camera...Sorry I'm still experimenting with this Canon SX-40. Some of the shots were not as focused as I though they should be. F stops and ISO speeds are kicking my but a bit with this one.

Start with the AIM-120 AMRAAM (18.6667 scale) T3 model.

MM 262Lp03a_MM AIM-120 AMRAAM(18.6667 Scale)_11-19-11.jpg

MM 262Lp03b_MM AMRAAM-120(18.6667) Countdown_11-19-11.jpg

MM 262Lp03c_MM AMRAAM-120(18.6667) GONE_11-19-11.jpg

Micro AGM-12b Bullpup flight. somehow I caught the liftoff. Very pretty flight to 60+ feet. Hoping the flight photos will get better now once I get used to the new camera and it's features. Supposed to have a 8fps burst but haven't figured it out yet.

MM 276Lp10a_MM BullPup-AGM-12b ready (26.9149 Scale)_11-19-11.jpg

MM 276Lp10b_MM BullPup-AGM-12b Liftoff_11-19-11.jpg

This is the Excelsior Rocketry Cherokee D MMX downscale. Minimum diameter with basswood fins and water slide decals.

cherokeed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Excelsior Rocketry Goblin. BT-5 based with beautiful nose cone, basswood fins and water slide decals.

goblin.jpg

Back