SCALE - Saturn V Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Newest addition is the Saturn V, a really fun build.

DSC00300.jpg

Post copied with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Which kit is that John....Zooch ? Whatever it is ,looks great ,nice picture.I`ll have to take pics of my Apogee kit and post.

Paul T

Which kit is that John....Zooch ? Whatever it is ,looks great ,nice picture.I`ll have to take pics of my Apogee kit and post.

Paul T

Its a Zooch. I copied it from another thread.

this is my original Good Ol'e Estes Saturn-V and Scratch built almost all balsa Pad-39 LUT's Gantry. The model survived to fly and be retired at our Clubs section number 139 flights. The Gantry was destroyed by vandels in the mid 1970's. Never had the heart to rebuild another. First flight 05-18-1970, Retired @ Goddard SpaceFlight Center launch 07-18-99 (29 great years of flying).
Built in three sections for transport, the Plywood & masonite base held, a split Exhaust tunnel. 50foot cable connections for Launch control as well as remotely controlling the gantry access arms in and out, Crane rotation right or left and winch up or down from the custom panel controller. The base also concealed the 40amp DPDT power relay with clips for single motor, 3 or 4 motor clusters while hiding the #8 Stranded copper battery leads and connectors.

Saturn-V flt 017b-sm_Gantry & Sandy @3yrs_09-10-70.jpg

Saturn-V flt 041-c-sm color liftoff_04-23-72.jpg

Saturn-V flt 139c-sm_Goddard SFC 2pic_07-18-99.jpg

Awesome pictures Micromeister. I grew up in Olney, MD so I wasn't to far from you.

Awesome pictures Micromeister. I grew up in Olney, MD so I wasn't to far from you.

Man it's such a small world Boosterdude! used to run around it Olney some during that time frame. Grew-up in DC, spent about 10 years in Marlow Heights then relocated back in DC. Still flying mostly in Maryland...Mt Airy at present.

Very nice looking Zooch Saturn-V.

I loved building my Estes Saturn V, my wife bought it for me for X-mas, after telling her how bad I wanted it as a kid 30 years ago. My Dad thought at the time it was to advanced for me and i would just "tear it up!" and at the time..he was probably right. Its my best piece now, but i am afraid to fly it yet. maybe with some mods i've read here at the forum. The 150' on E-9 that Estes recommends just seems silly.(barely high enough for chute deploy) Someday though when I get tired of just staring it it and wondering......

021311 080.jpg

021311 082.jpg

Man it's such a small world Boosterdude! used to run around it Olney some during that time frame. Grew-up in DC, spent about 10 years in Marlow Heights then relocated back in DC. Still flying mostly in Maryland...Mt Airy at present.

Very nice looking Zooch Saturn-V.

It really is, I certainly enjoy your posts.

Thanks, it flew really good this weekend. All Zooch stuff flies good it seems.

I loved building my Estes Saturn V, my wife bought it for me for X-mas, after telling her how bad I wanted it as a kid 30 years ago. My Dad thought at the time it was to advanced for me and i would just "tear it up!" and at the time..he was probably right. Its my best piece now, but i am afraid to fly it yet. maybe with some mods i've read here at the forum. The 150' on E-9 that Estes recommends just seems silly.(barely high enough for chute deploy) Someday though when I get tired of just staring it it and wondering......

As I say about ALL my models...If it doesn't fly it's just a dust collector! Skyspike1 Fly it... The very worst you can do is crash and repair it.
I flew mine for almost 30 years, on 3-C6-3 clusteres until a cato ended her ability to accept the cluster motor mount. From then on it was D12-3's. I'll have to look at the log but I'm pretty sure She suffered at least 2 additional Motor catos. Each of which required some extensive repair work but on her 139th flight and as she sits today she really doesn't look all that bad for the years, flights and ware.
FLY IT! Even on a D12-3, prehaps a 100foot flight it's a breathtaking experience and wonderful 3 chute recovery. Don't deny yourself the pleasure.

Saturn-V flt 126a_ Liftoff_10-11-97.jpg

Saturn-V flt 126b_ 3 chutes_10-11-97.jpg

Saturn-V flt 128b_ midflight_05-16-98.jpg

Saturn-V flt 128c_ 2 chutes_05-16-98.jpg

Last edited:
Well..I cant argue with the same logic i've always used about all other rockets...Its not a "Rocket" for nothin' Sold me on that! I'll be planning M.M. remodel for more stress of thrust. Built to Estes specs, didn't seem to strong at the time. This one WILL FLY soon now! (I've been waiting since 1979 4 this!)

Come on guy's....and gals also! I know there have got to be other Rocket builders out there converting Plastic models for flight. Lets see some pics and read some stories.

While we're waiting this 1:144th Revell Apollo Saturn-V Cluster conversion was quickly done....and not very well done at that for a club Apollo Moon landing anniversary fun contest. Saturn-V's of all sizes and shapes were entered and all flown the same day.
I decided last minute to alter my original intended 5C6 cluster to just 3 D12's for easy of set-up and use just a single pack of D12-3 motors. Flys very well, nice and stable with the added noseweight and clear lexan fins.
Really doesn't take as long to built or convert as building a 1:100 Estes Saturn-V. If memory severs Airfix currently offers a similar 1:144th Saturn-V if anyone is looking for a model to start your PMC adventures.

Post copied with permission

Saturn V is always fun :)

Post copied to gallery with permission

sat v lift off.jpg

saturn inf1.jpg

sat v infl 2.jpg

Almost forgot to post my Sat V here.

Estes kit (newest release)

Great kit ,and I will build more of them !

Paul T

Attachments

• php4attiqAM.jpg
    php4attiqAM.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 152
  • phpK2teHPAM.jpg
    phpK2teHPAM.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 143
  • phpkwUJ9kAM.jpg
    phpkwUJ9kAM.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 140
  • phpqJDAyeAM.jpg
    phpqJDAyeAM.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 145
  • phpXgBowcAM.jpg
    phpXgBowcAM.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 125
great looking rocket and smokepole collection sod:)
Cheers
fred

Mentioned it on another thread earlier - After an epic prang on an Estes E9-4 and some significant repairs, my (Estes) SatV was launched on an AeroTech E28-7 with beautiful results.

Welcome to the SCALE - Saturn V Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Saturn V and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Apogee: Saturn V: #05026
Centuri: Saturn 5: KS-12 or #5142
Cox: Apollo Saturn V: #5075
Dr Zooch: Saturn V:
Estes: Saturn V: K-36 or #1236
Estes: Saturn V: #2001
Estes: Saturn V: #2157
Estes: Semi-Scale Saturn V: K-39 or #1239
Neubauer: Micro Saturn V

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The Saturn V (pronounced "Saturn Five") was an American human-rated expendable rocket used by NASA's Apollo and Skylab programs from 1967 until 1973. A multistage liquid-fueled launch vehicle, NASA launched 13 Saturn Vs from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida with no loss of crew or payload. It remains the tallest, heaviest and most powerful rocket ever brought to operational status and still holds the record for the heaviest launch vehicle payload.

The largest production model of the Saturn family of rockets, the Saturn V was designed under the direction of Wernher von Braun and Arthur Rudolph at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, with Boeing, North American Aviation, Douglas Aircraft Company, and IBM as the lead contractors. Von Braun's design was based in part on his work on the Aggregate series of rockets, especially the A-10, A-11, and A-12, in Germany during World War II.

To date, the Saturn V is the only launch vehicle to transport human beings beyond Low Earth Orbit. A total of 24 men were flown out to the Moon in the four years spanning December 1968 through December 1972.

Last edited:
Estes Saturn V (K-36 or #1236) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Saturn V, Maxi-Brute Saturn V, Saturn V Moon Rocket

NUMBER: K-36 or #1236

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1985
Designer: Bill See

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 3x18mm or 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 43.5"
Diameter: 3.938"
Span:
Weight: 9.9 oz

Mfg. Description: Scaled to 1/100th actual size, it stands 43 1/2" tall. Precision molded plastic tower and other details make this an easy model for the experienced rocketeer to build. Authentic full color decals included. Realistic plastic engine nozzles remove for flight. Three engine cluster lifts your model hundreds of feet to peak altitude where separation occurs. The Apollo Capsule returns safely to earth on its 12" chute; two big 24" chutes gently return the main power section for its next launch. Use a 12-volt car battery or a 12-volt Estes FS-5 (or similar launch control system) for dependable ignition. (Estes 1969 Catalog)

=====

Scaled to 1/100th actual size, it stands 43 1/2" tall. Precision molded plastic tower and other details make this an easy model for the experienced rocketeer to build. Authentic full color decals included. Realistic plastic engine nozzles remove for flight. Three engine cluster lifts your model hundreds of feet to peak altitude where separation occurs. The Apollo Capsule returns safely to earth on its 12" chute; two big 24" chutes gently return the main power section for its next launch. Use a 12-volt car battery and a 12-volt Estes FS-5 (or similar launch control system) for dependable ignition. Engines not included. TR-6 on clustering included. (Estes 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog

estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1975 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1978%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1978 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1982 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1982%20sum%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1982 Summer Catalog

estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1983 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-1985%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1985 Catalog

Face Card

estes-saturn%20v%20k36-face%201.jpg
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-face%202.jpg
estes-saturn%20v%20k36-face%203.jpg

Instruction Header

estes-saturn%20v%20k36-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Semi-Scale Saturn V (K-39 or #1239) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Semi-Scale Saturn V, Saturn V (Semi-Scale)

NUMBER: K-39 or #1239

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1979
Designer: Bill Simon

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 18.1"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 1.87 oz

Mfg. Description: Though not fully detailed, this model of the Saturn V is an amazingly good representation of our nation's biggest launch vehicle. Scaled at 1 to 242 it is a practical size to build. With single engine reliability you can count on precise launchings and steady flights. Parachute recovery gives gentle landings. Instructions and all parts included but no engines. (Estes 1969 Catalog)

=====

1970 Catalog text identical to 1969 Catalog

Advertising Liveries

estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog

estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1975 Catalog
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-face%201.jpg
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-face%202.jpg
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-face%203.jpg
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-face%204.jpg
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-face%205.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-instr%201.jpg
estes-semi%20scale%20saturn%20v-instr%202.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Saturn V (#2001) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Saturn V

NUMBER: #2001

Introduced: 1988
Final Year: 1994
Designer: Keith Niskern

Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 43.25"
Diameter: 3.938"
Span:
Weight: 10.2 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

estes-saturn%20v%20(2001)-1988%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1988 Catalog
estes-saturn%20v%20(2001)-1993%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1993 Catalog

Face Card

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Estes Saturn V (#2157) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Saturn V, Apollo 11 Saturn V

NUMBER: #2157

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 43.25"
Diameter: 3.94"
Span:
Weight: 11 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

estes-saturn%20v%20(2157)-2011%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2011 Catalog

Face Card

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads
New Fins

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Dr Zooch Saturn V Basic Information.

dr_zooch.gif
Dr Zooch Rockets

MODEL NAME: Saturn V

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 18"
Diameter:
Span: 3.6"
Weight: 2.4 oz

Mfg. Description: If you came here looking for an Estes K-39… this AIN’T it! Although this model is about the same size, it is a vastly improved rocket. Remember back to when you bought your first semi-scale Saturn V? Sometime between 1969 and 1979 and as you rode your bike back from the hobby store, with the rocket kit and bag gripped onto the handlebars, you envisioned your backyard turned into Launch Complex 39 as your ant-sized Saturn V thundered into the sky with USA and the American flags on its side, F-1 engines hard at work.
Then remember when you finished the kit and you looked at it and said to yourself “What a piece of cr&p!” There were no details, no USAs, no F-1 engines!
It hardly even looked like a Saturn V. And on the first or second flight at least one of those stinking glass fins broke away and was lost so the rocket was no good anymore. Well here at Dr. Zooch Rockets we have developed an ant-scale Saturn V that has ALL of the details!
GONE are the glass fins, GONE are the pain-to-build engine fairings. Included are the full set of decals with all of the USAs, and first motion markings, INCLUDED are the F-1 engines and they do not have to come off for flight! THIS IS the ant-scale Saturn V that you dreamed of as a kid and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg to get it, so if you lose it in a tree, you afford to buy another one. In designing this kit we used RockSim software and balanced the vehicle so that it could fly with tiny fins that are just 10% larger than true scale. And it really flies too! Put in a “C” engine and you’ll chase it for a half mile. Everything you need is in the kit. We even give you extra decals for when you screw one up. (Dr Zooch 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

dr%20zooch-saturn%20v-2010%20umrs%20livery.jpg
UMRS 2010 Web Ad
dr%20zooch-saturn%20v-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Dr Zooch 2011 Web Ad

Face Card

dr%20zooch-saturn%20v-face%20card.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
During the peak of model rocketry's popularity in the late 1960s-early 1970s, a new player entered the model rocketry market.

It may have been new to model rocketry but not to the hobby business. That company was L.M. Cox Manufacturing Co., Inc. Cox had been a manufacturer of glow fuel powered airplanes and cars along with slot cars and other hobby products.

Cox had strong manufacturing skills in making products out of plastic. The company decided to release a line of RTF plastic rockets. This product line would eventually consist of seven rockets, motors and launch accessories.

Two of the models, the Saturn 1B and Saturn V, would later be released as kits to build and paint.

My local hobby shop back then carried the Cox rockets but not the RTF Saturn 1B or Saturn V. They did have the kit version of the Saturn V but the cost was $11.00 which was quite a bit of money back then.

I decided to save up my allowance and eventually purchased the Saturn V kit. The model was easy to build but was molded out of ABS plastic which could not be assembled with regular platic cement. Cox included a tube of cement with the kit along with a two-piece 3/16" diameter launch rod.

While the assembly was straightforward, the painting was not. I didn't have spray paints so I painted the model using bottles of Testors black paint. I wasn't very good at masking then, either. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, I finished the model and was was quite pleased with the way it turned out. I never flew it. :)

Jump forward to 1989 when Cox announces that it is getting back into the model rocket market by re-releasing five of the original RTF models, one of which is the Saturn V.

I did buy one of these new Saturn V models and flew it several times. It met it's demise on the El Dorado lakebed outside of Las Vegas, Nevada, when only one of the two AeroTech E15-7W motors ignited. :(

I still have my original Cox Saturn V model and it's box.

Cox Saturn V Built Kit.jpg

Cox Apollo Saturn V (#5075) Basic Information.

cox%20trf.gif
Cox

MODEL NAME: Apollo Saturn V Also known as: Saturn V

NUMBER: #5075

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 2x18mm
Length: 33.5"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: A 1/125 scale model of the world's largest launch vehicle, as used for the moon orbiting and landing missions in the Apollo space program. Powered by a cluster of two single stage engines. (Cox 1970-71 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

cox-apollo%20saturn%20v%205075-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1970 Catalog
cox-apollo%20saturn%20v%205075-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1972 Catalog
cox-apollo%20saturn%20v%205075-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
Cox 1990 Catalog

Face Card(s)

cox-apollo%20saturn%20v%205075-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

cox-apollo%20saturn%20v%205075-instr.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Neubauer Micro Saturn V Basic Information.

neubauer.gif
Neubauer Rockets

MODEL NAME: Micro Saturn V Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Length: 10.7"
Diameter: 0.97"
Span:
Weight: 3.0 oz

Mfg. Description: This kit features resin cast plastic nose cone/capsule. Plastic fin unit.

Each kit comes with a complete set of color adhesive decals and can be built in only 1 to 2 hours (except paint and decals). (Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

neubauer-micro%20saturn%20v-2012%20web%20discount.jpg
Discount Rocketry 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here's my Zooch Saturn V.

148 Outside picture.jpg147 Finished.jpg

And here are 3 Saturn Vs together. My Estes 1/100th scale sitting on the floor, the Zooch ant scale on the edge of the table, and a small hard rubber toy in my hand.
3 Saturn Vs 01.jpg

And the 3 of them sitting on the table.

3 Saturn Vs 02.jpg

100_3067.jpg100_3066.jpg100_3065.jpg100_3042.jpgOoooooo, So many Saturns!

Here's my Estes Saturn V #2157... Flown twice, crashed once...I used a AT E20-4w with out nose weight, Bad! Now repaired with nose weight, she is going to fly again soon (maybe!).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back