SCALE - Ares I Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Ares I-X
IMG_1138.jpg

Ares I
DSC00235.jpg

post copied to this thread with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the SCALE - Ares I Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Ares I and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Dr. Zooch: Ares I-X:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Ares I was the crew launch vehicle that was being developed by NASA as part of the Constellation Program. The name "Ares" refers to the Greek deity Ares, who is identified with the Roman god Mars. Ares I was originally known as the "Crew Launch Vehicle" (CLV).

NASA planned to use Ares I to launch Orion, the spacecraft intended for NASA human spaceflight missions after the Space Shuttle was retired in 2011. Ares I was to complement the larger, unmanned Ares V, which was the cargo launch vehicle for Constellation. NASA selected the Ares designs for their anticipated overall safety, reliability and cost-effectiveness. However, the Constellation program, including Ares I was canceled in October 2010 by the passage of the 2010 NASA authorization bill. Existing Constellation contracts remain in place until Congress passes a new funding bill.

Last edited:
Dr. Zooch Ares I-X Basic Information.

dr_zooch.gif
Dr Zooch Rockets

MODEL NAME: Ares I-X

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Wes Oleszewski

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight: 1.29 oz

Mfg. Description: As plans moved ahead for NASA’s next manned launch vehicle, the Ares I, some fundamental questions needed to be answered. What aerodynamic surprises await it in actual flight? To find out, NASA planned a series of unmanned launches similar to the Titan I and Saturn I launches of the early 1960s using a dummy upper stage. The first such launch was the Ares I-X! The flight took place on October 28th, 2009. The I-X boosted on a standard Shuttle SRB that is extended with a 5th segment simulator. The upper section was a boilerplate of the proposed upper stage, adapter, Orion spacecraft and LAS. Standing 327 feet tall and weighing as much as three and a half un-fueled Saturn V moon rockets, the Ares I-X rolled out of the VAB 01:39 on October 20. Eight days later the vehicle thundered majestically from Pad 39B. Contrary to the speculation of mindless critics, the flight was 100% successful. In fact it was awe-inspiring. At staging, the entire upper section simply tumbled into the Atlantic and the SRB first stage returned by parachute just as it does on Shuttle missions. The data gained will help to evaluate the Ares I configuration for flight. Like an arrow to the future, the Ares I-X has pointed the way. The only question remaining is whether or not our politicians will have the brains and fortitude to go in that direction. This Dr. Zooch Rockets' version of the Ares I-X stands just over 19 inches tall and weighs 1.5 ounces. Stabilized by our trademarked FlameFins, the model Ares I-X can achieve flights of over 2,000 feet. It returns by parachute and, if you manage to actually find it, can be flown over and over again. Although NO ENGINES ARE INCLUDED, it flies on 18 mm B or C engines that you can buy at most local hobby or craft stores. So- get yours now and be ready when NASA launches theirs! This is a great demonstration tool for educators who want to impress students, parents who want to impress kids or someone who just wants to punch a hole in the sky and impress themselves. (Dr Zooch 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

dr%20zooch-ares%201x-2011%20umrs%20livery.jpg
UMRS 2011 Web Ad

Face Card

dr%20zooch-ares%201x-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back