Custom - Ion Pulsar (#10028) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
For a long time, I thought the Ion Pulsar was Custom's best looking kit. I still think it looks pretty good. I like the appearance of polished copper so I tried to use copper paint to accent mine. I thought it turned out fairly well but I will never forget all those little black dot decals. They has to be an easier way!

It appears I have no TRF thread for it but the Flickr albums are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157607432204483/

transfer 009.jpg

transfer 015.jpg

transfer 024.jpg

Picture 072.jpg

2749620912_9ebaabb2dc.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That's excellent! The bright colors really show off all the rivets and details. Did you add some detail shading to the rivet lines?

I just got back into rocketry after more than 20-year absence, and the Ion Pulsar was pretty much at the top of my wish list. It was my third BAR build, finished about a month ago. I'm flying it for the first time tomorrow.

Mine's done in Valspar Pewter and Valspar Copper. I used a black plastic nosecone from another Custom kit (they make some great rockets), polished mirror bright. My fin spur dowel was too short, so I had to replace it with some slightly thicker stock.

Iron Horizon resize.jpg

Iron Horizon 2 resize.jpg

Wow! That's excellent! The bright colors really show off all the rivets and details. Did you add some detail shading to the rivet lines?

I just got back into rocketry after more than 20-year absence, and the Ion Pulsar was pretty much at the top of my wish list. It was my third BAR build, finished about a month ago. I'm flying it for the first time tomorrow.

Mine's done in Valspar Pewter and Valspar Copper. I used a black plastic nosecone from another Custom kit (they make some great rockets), polished mirror bright. My fin spur dowel was too short, so I had to replace it with some slightly thicker stock.

I like it.

Yours still looks all shiny and new.

My Ion Pulsar flew quite nicely today, even though its actually almost an ounce heavier than spec! (Must be all the high-build primer I used...). I flew it on a B6, & it made about 400 feet at least. It probably really needs a C, but it was really windy and a couple of rockets got lost in a tree line today.

No broken fin spurs either! :clap:

Iron Horizon at Tripoli Launch.jpg

Looks like there must be a couple of editions of the kit. The decals in my kit only included the rows of rivets and the black ovals on the fins. Other folks have ones with what looks like port-holes and other things in the decal markings.

Looks like there must be a couple of editions of the kit. The decals in my kit only included the rows of rivets and the black ovals on the fins. Other folks have ones with what looks like port-holes and other things in the decal markings.

I was not aware of that.

I think the issue that many of us had was with the rivets. Lots of rows. Also lots of pairs if I remember correctly.

Welcome to the Custom - Ion Pulsar (#10028) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Custom - Ion Pulsar (#10028) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Custom: Ion Pulsar: #10028

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Custom Ion Pulsar (#10028) Basic Information.

custom.gif
Custom Rockets

Ion Pulsar

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 17" (42.5 cm)
Diameter: 1.325" (33.5 mm)
Span:
Weight: 1.4 oz (40 g)

Mfg. Description: In 1939, something strange was being built in complete secrecy on a remote island off the coast of Ireland.

McKimmons, a local inventor, had become well known for his aeronautical discoveries. Now an eccentric millionaire, McKimmons lived alone on the island and spent his days and nights working. His work would not be made public until it's discovery in 2029.

In 2029 Nasa sent it's first manned exploration team to Mars. It was during this exploration of the planet, astronauts made a startling discovery. What they found was an Ion pulsar powered spacecraft. It's discovery found technology that was years ahead of it's time, even in 2029! What the astronauts saw before them was a spacecraft that had been flown by the late inventor. McKimmons was never found, however a diary inside the ship detailed his journey up until 1973. Among the other items found, plans for the Ion engine, living quarter with unique life support equipment. Also inside was hydroponic growing equipment to supply food.

By 2035 Nasa had a working Ion pulsar engine that enabled the team to travel to distant galaxies.

Futuristic kit! Makes a great display kit with its super detailed parts. Features a blow molded plastic nose cone, die-cut balsa fins, and 12" parachute recovery. Includes precision printed water-slide decals and quick-release engine mount for fast engine change. Flights of over 750 feet are possible with a C6-5 motor. (Custom 2011 Web Ad)

custom-ion%20pulsar-1998%20cat%20livery.jpg
Custom 1998 Catalog
custom-ion%20pulsar-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Custom 2011 Web Ad

custom-ion%20pulsar-facecard%201.jpg
custom-ion%20pulsar-facecard.jpg

custom-ion%20pulsar-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back