SCALE - Black Brant II Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That`s a gorgeous looking rocket Bobby ,one of my favorites ! I`ve always liked the checkerboard patterns on the fins.

Paul T

Bunsen

I have this photo as I am the one that supplied the photo to ROW I also have one of it elevated and at liftoff.

Bobby Hamill

I used Peter Always Rockets of World and the following photo. After I was done painting I looked at the photo and realized where the CARDE logo was on the photo for the checkered Black Brant, DUH!

I liked the looks of it so I have kept it. If I want to go for NAR scale I will build a new one.

The decal file is not in Word but is a JPEG.

Man I'm making mistakes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48113599@N04/4974845027/in/photostream/

I am going to be getting the Cosmodrome Black Brant II soon. I am looking to do the paint the hard way, with blue taping the white areas for the black stripes. I also have 2 Estes versions. In the Spring, I am looking to fly my 3 larger ones. Along with the Cosmodrome Black Brant II, I will also be flying the Cosmodrome Black Brant 5C and the PML Black Brant 5B. Since they are scale models, they will be flown on white lightning motors. I will post a picture of the three of them together once the Black Brant II is done.

Welcome to the SCALE - Black Brant 2 Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Black Brant 2 and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Cosmodrome: Black Brant II:
Estes: Black Brant II: #1958
Madcow Rocketry: Black Brant II (2.6"): K-153

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The Black Brant is a Canadian-designed sounding rocket built by Bristol Aerospace in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Over 800 Black Brants of various versions have been launched since they were first produced in 1961, and the type remains one of the most popular sounding rockets ever built. They have been repeatedly used by the Canadian Space Agency and NASA.

Last edited:
Estes Black Brant II (#1958) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Black Brant II

Introduced: 1986
Final Year: 1998
Re-introduced: 2001
Withdrawn: 2003
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 24.875"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.29 oz

Mfg. Description: An outgrowth of the 1950's Black Brant I program, Black Brant II's payload capacity was increased to 6.2 cu. ft. by changing the nose cone's shape. The Canadair air frame was aerodynamically stabilized by 3 fixed fins. Total fin span was 39". The motor contained 2,000 lbs of solid propellant and delivered 16,000 lbs of thrust over a 25 second burn time. Total vehicle weight with propellant was 2,642 lbs.

The first two Black Brant II's were launched in October 1960 at Fort Churchill, Canada. The next two were launched from Wallops Island, VA during November 1961.

Used by the Canadian Armament Research and Development Establishment for upper atmosphere research studies, Black Brant II's were fired mostly in Canada's Northlands, carrying up to 150 lbs of payload to altitudes of 100 statute miles.

Beautiful model of Canadian sounding rocket features a 1 to 13 scale ration. Complete with detailed plastic parts, three color decal, huge 18" recovery parachute, and die cut balsa fins, this powerful D-engine model can fly well over 1200 feet. (Estes 1986 Catalog)

estes-black%20brant%20ii-1986%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1986 Catalog
estes-black%20brant%20ii-1988%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1988 Catalog
estes-black%20brant%20ii-1993%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1993 Catalog

estes-black%20brant%20ii-1995%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1995 Catalog
estes-black%20brant%20ii-1998%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1998 Catalog
estes-black%20brant%20ii-2002%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2002 Catalog

estes-black%20brant%20ii-2003%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2003 Catalog

estes-black%20brant%20ii-facecard.jpg
Facecard

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Cosmodrome Black Brant II Basic Information.

cosmodrome.gif
Cosmodrome Rocketry

Black Brant II

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Mike Kruger

Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Length: 50.8"
Diameter: 2.63"
Span:
Weight: 19oz

Mfg. Description: Balsa nose cone and boat tail
Three color self-adhesive decals
24" rip-stop nylon parachutte
F through H power
Through-the-wall fins
Motor retension (Cosmodrome 2011 Web Ad)

cosmodrome-black%20brant%20ii-2009%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2009 Web Ad
cosmodrome-black%20brant%20ii-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Cosmodrome 2011 Web Ad

cosmodrome-black%20brant%20ii-facecard.jpg

cosmodrome-black%20brant%20ii-instr.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Madcow Black Brant II (2.6") (K-153) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

Black Brant II (2.6")

K-153

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length: 52.75"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 33oz

Mfg. Description: Features:
ALL FIBERGLASS KIT
High Power Rocket
Pre-Slotted Fiberglass Airframe
Fiberglass Nose Cone
Fiberglass Tail Cone
G10 Fins and Centering Rings
Cut Vinyl Decal
Dual Deploy
Rail Buttons (Madcow 2012 Web Ad)

madcow-black%20brant%20ii%20(2.6)-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Madcow 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Cosmodrom Black Brant II.

Modeled after some photos and line drawings for the BBII and Wallops Island paint scheme. #0-80 screws through-out. Excelsior decals (water-slide). I replaced the nose cone with a fiberglass one from Madcow. Bonded the cone to 3.75" of body tube. Added a coupler and made an av-bay inside the cone. The screws around the switch and RST port are used. Aeropack retainer recessed in cone. May not be show quality scale, but I like it. Figure I better post these before she flies. Best she'll ever look!

IMG_5342.jpg

DPP_9.jpg

DPP_7.jpg

DPP_3.jpg

DPP_4.jpg

DPP_8.jpg

DPP_5.jpg

DPP_12.jpg

DPP_10.jpg

DPP_6.jpg

The CARDE name doesn't exist anymore, but if you were to visit the place today, here's what you'd see:BBII Rocket.jpeg
And here's what may be the first collection of Estes, Madcow and Cosmodrome versions modelled after it:
BBII Model Rockets.jpeg

Here is my Estes Black Brant II #1958.

This was a restoration of a forgotten rocket that was purchased as part of a collection. It was in pretty rough shape with signs of lots of repairs.

Here is the restoration thread for anyone interested. https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-black-brant-ii-1958-restoration.162904/

Here is what I started with.

IMG_9145.jpg

And the final product. Very happy with the way this one turned out even if I really hate doing the roll pattern on this model.

bb4.jpgbb2.jpg

Back