Centuri Swift (KBG-3) Basic Information

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I never had much luck with gliders. I had tried a few and always been disappointed. Still, I keep trying every now and again. My last glider was the Semroc Boost Glider, purchased just after its release. To my complete amazement, things went pretty well with this one.

I had heard all of the warnings about paint on gliders but I was not looking for high performance. I wanted mine to look good and, just maybe, glide. I painted it like the face card and thought it looked stunning. I limited myself to one coat. In retrospect, I wish I had globbed the paint on and lowered the performance even more. If I had, I might still have it today.:dark:

My TRF thread is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=5394

The photo albums, including a few videos, are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157621956600615/

SBG-done-2.jpg

SBG-f1b.jpg

SBG-f1d.jpg

SBG-f1e.jpg

Swift-BG-f1f.jpg

Last edited:
In rocketry, we have to contend with "rocket-eating trees".

In gliders, you have to deal with "threatening thermals".

In the AMA we used to say "The Thermal Gods are well pleased with your model and have accepted your offering."

In rocketry, we have to contend with "rocket-eating trees".

In gliders, you have to deal with "threatening thermals".

In the AMA we used to say "The Thermal Gods are well pleased with your model and have accepted your offering."

So if I really like one, I need to trim it with buckshot?

I know and understand your comments about All things glider related.

I think one of the funniest stories I have center on my very first attempts at the Ye Olde' Falcon BG. it was my first purchased glider kit. I spent goobs of time sanding and working on the model, then totally ignored the painting warnings as well....they are by the way well founded IF and I say If your flying in Glider competitions;)... anyway I spent weeks painting and pinstriping my little falcon. took it out to learn to trim it with a wad of clay and the instructions. Hand tossed the model in a grassy field until I had what I thought was a decent glide. Then waited for the Weekends Launch date to set it up for a first flight on a B6-2 motor.
Took off like a shot...straight as an arrow....up, up up to apogee...Pop! kicked out the motor casing as planned and then down...down....down.....Crunch! no transitition at all. DeeRATS!

some quick on the field glue repairs..ready for another attempt....Up! UP! UP! POP!...Down, ditty. down down.... Splat. Same flight profile. DANG!
more quick glue repairs.... more hand trim gliding... A great glide!...motor in and SPLAT! 4 more flight that day all yeilded the same outcome.. NO Glide at all. on the last attempt I have a super-8 mm movie of my Duck Booted Size 13 stomping the model into itty-bitty pieces.

Completely Dejected I purchased a second Falcon kit but this time made double dog sure everything was exactly as instructed. No more 20 hour paint job on this one. I did give it a single coat of Gloss black just because I couldn't bring myself to fly a Naked rocket.
Hand trim gliding gave me the very same length and path. this one I even added just a touch of clay to one wing to get the model to do about a 300foot circle if it did glide at all.
On the pad B6-2 in this one.. 5...4...3...2..1...Liftoff! Up, Up , Up Pop and by golly transition into a great slow wide circling glide. Wow it was up there a ways also...One HUGE circle around the field and wait....it's flight path as straightened out... it's heading east... and UP... UP... I knew nothing about thermals but Wow the last I saw Falcon-2 it was going out of sight heading east for the Bay Bridge LOL!!!!

To this day I haven't build another FS Falcon model until I downscaled it for Micro Maxx motors and was told about added 2° down dihedral to the (Front) of this models wings.

I still fly them every now and then and have learned to better trim and control myself to NOT paint most of them.. but there are lots of ways to decorate.

Falcon BG-a-sm_Pin striped BG b&w_05-12-71.jpg

Falcon-2-sm_1st Fleet (2nd falcon) BG_12-18-72.jpg

Here's mine...er...my daughter's. We got it from a vendor at a club launch after her estes transwing crashed and ended up in several more pieces than it took off in. I kept the same paint design but used different colors. I actually had to repair the main wing twice before it ever flew. The first time trying to sand down the primer for a smooth finish, the second time after a trim test flight ended nose first on a cart path. It has flown once, beautifully, with a nice circular glide on the descent. I had to walk a bit, but we're talking yards not miles.

2010-12-16_22-10-21_650.jpg

Centuri Swift (KBG-3) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Swift, Swift Boost Glider

KBG-3

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1974
Designer: Lee Piester

Type: Boost Glider
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Glide
Stages: 1
Length: 19"
Diameter:
Span: 16"
Weight: 1.4 oz

Mfg. Description: Whoosh!...This amazing bird streaks hundreds of feet straight up, turns over at peak altitude, and ejects the "Pop-Pod". Then it starts into a long soaring glide and circles slowly back to earth: coming in for a smooth safe landing. The "Pop-Pod" falls separately, slowed by a colorful streamer. Perfect model for glide duration contests and demonstrations. Recommended for the experienced modeller. Includes all parts plus detailed assembly instructions. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

The winner! This amazing boost glider streaks skyward, turns on its back at peak altitude, and ejects its uniquely designed "pop pod". The delicately shaped, sturdy, and handsome glider then starts on its long soaring glide back to earth, coming in for a landing so smooth and safe it is hard to imagine. A pleasure to build, fly and watch, the Swift is perfect for glide-duration contests and demonstrations. Pop pod is parachute recovered. Recommended for experienced modelers. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

1971 Catalog text identical to 1969 Catalog

centuri-swift-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-swift-1970%20xnas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog

centuri-swift-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog
centuri-swift-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog

centuri-swift-facecard.jpg

centuri-swift-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Centuri - Swift (KBG-3) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Swift (KBG-3) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Swift: KBG-3
Semroc: Swift Boost Glider: KV-27

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Semroc Swift Boost Glider (KV-27) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

Swift Boost Glider, Swift BG

KV-27

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: Lee Piester

Type: Boost Glider
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Glide
Stages: 1
Length: 16.5" (41.9 cm)
Diameter: 0.759" (1.9 cm)
Span: 11.8" (30.0 cm)
Weight: 1.0 oz (28.4 g)

Mfg. Description: 1969 Retro Repro (Semroc 2011 Web Ad)

semroc-swift%20booster%20glider-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back