Centuri - Flutter-By (KA-9 or #5009) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Many may not realize the recently "re-released" Flutter-by Estes is selling is actually a 70's Centuri design.
A year or so back while I was trying to get a group of Mapleseed type Helicopter recovery models together and downscaled for micor maxx flying. The Ol'E Flutter-by had to be included.
This one was to be sure a challange to get balanced and beefed up enought to take the mighty micromax motors initial kick. during testing I must have lost a half dozen lower units either to out right OUT OF SIGHT lose or shreading during boost.
the model pictured is the final form, having flown only once so far...even with the silver and fluorescent Yellow/orange coloring it's was a bear to follow and recover. Thank goodness for the flasing of the silver in the sun. Had it been overcast I'm sure i'd have lost the upper half.
sorry no flight pics as this little 2.5" long x 1.75" wide model is just toooooo quick to stop with my digital.

post copied with permission

MM 327a-sm_Micro Flutter-By 2.6x downscale_03-18-07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Centuri - Flutter-By (KA-9 or #5009) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Flutter-By (KA-9 or #5009) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Flutter-By: KA-9 or #5009

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Flutter-By (KA-9 or #5009) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Flutter-By

KA-9 or #5009

Introduced: 1972
Final Year: 1974
Designer: Grant Boyd

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Tumble
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: This little fellow is a bird with a difference! Power separates at apogee into two wing shapes that flutter safely to earth. The simple recovery system and engine lock make the Flutter-By easy to prep and fun to fly over and over. Designed for low power engines, the Flutter-By is a great crowd pleaser. Kit includes custom decal, shiny high-visibility chrome trim, detailed instruction and die cut fins. (Centuri 1972 Catalog)

centuri-flutter%20by-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog

centuri-flutter%20by-face%20card.jpg
Face Card

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back