Centuri - Space Shuttle (Kc-6) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One of the most challanging of the Space shuttle Gliding designs was the OLD Centuri Kc-6 Dual glider Space Shuttle.
This design was an early NASA Concept proposal for "the US Space shuttle program".
It is most interesting in that the Powered unit of this design is the Orbiter rather then the mothership. A rather elaborate pod ejection system with streamer and mothership lock-on system make it a challange in alignment.
making flights even more strange were the folded flexible vinyl elevators on the mothership needed to "offset some of the Nose down tendency of the stack during boost.
My model is one of the original Centuri Kits I've had in storage for decades. When building my SST fleet I just had to add this one as it is truely a Centuri Classic.

During the build I decided to Alter the Orbiters wing locations moving them almost an inch forward and heavily alter the mothership flaps to include Adjustable nylon stop screws to pre-set the amount of flapdrop that could be generated under powered fight. These changes were documented in the Build thread and have proven to greatly improve the stablilty and altitude gained during flights.

Semroc I believe is now offering this model again and with the addition of solid flaps on the mother ship it should again be a good experienced modeler build.

468a-sm_KC-6 Space Shuttle (2 glider)_08-04-07.jpg

468c17a-sm_Booster elevators and 30deg Stops_07-07-07.jpg

468c17b-sm_Booster elevator boost adjustment screws_07-08-07.jpg

468c19f-sm_elevators done_07-12-07.jpg

468Lp04e-sm_KC-6  C6-3 Liftoff 4th Flt_09-22-07.JPG

I have a clone kit, that's about 90% complete.

I was hesitant to build it with the supplied "sticker"-type elevon material, since it didn't seem like a reliable way to trim it for boosted flight, as well as for the return glide, with any kind of reliability and consistency. I am planning to use a similar approach to yours.

What elevon settings, etc., would you recommend for a first flight? Also, have you played with different CG's for the gliders, to find out where the best glide is attained?

Last edited:
I have a clone kit, that's about 90% complete.

I was hesitant to build it with the supplied "sticker"-type elevon material, since it didn't seem like a reliable way to trim it for boosted flight, as well as for the return glide, with any kind of reliability and consistency. I am planning to use a similar approach to yours.

What elevon settings, etc., would you recommend for a first flight? Also, have you played with different CG's for the gliders, to find out where the best glide is attained?

The Glide stops are set at 30 Degrees and seem to be just about right for the big bird to maintain a very nice steady glide. it is the under boost forced down stops that make all the difference between a controlled steady UP boost and the totally random uncontrolled often horizontal flights with the supplied sticker typy elevon flaps. I started with I believe about 10° up elevon for the first flight with pretty good results it's been adjusted up and down a couple times between 15 and 18° settling on 15° for my model.
One think I leaned on the second flight is the elevon tension must NOT be too high or the boost flight WILL BE Heart Stopping(Last pic below). I goofed and pulled the elastic strings Way to tight on the second flight and she was ALL OVER The sky until burnout.

I feel the original Wing location on the orbiter is FAR to far back on the fuselage (First 2 pics below). I didn't get a decent glide out of the orbiter until I moved the well airfoiled wings a full inch forward on the body (2nd 2 pics). This had no effect on the boost flight of the model but made all the difference in the world to the orbiter glide performace after seperation. I actually lost the orbiter for a month in the Very top of a 100 foot oak tree after retrimming. Even after at much forward wing movement it still took a good bit of clay on the tail to get the trim right.
Hope this helps.

ps: something I'd completely forgotten about, I also added 1/2" to the span of the orbiter wings to get a bit more lift out of them.

468b13_Orbiter,Wings,Tail & elevators attachment_06-04-07.JPG

468b15a-sm_Elevator tabs & Canopies atteched_06-10-07.JPG

468b16a-sm_orbiter wings removed (note clay)_06-20-07.jpg

468c16b-sm_Orbiter Larger airfoiled forward Wings_07-07-07.jpg

468c19e-sm_thread attached loosly to elevator_07-12-07.jpg

Last edited:
This is actually the Blast From The Past Rocketry kit from a number of years ago. Fantastic kit! The cones are vacuum formed and weigh next to nothing. Balsa was all laser cut. The gliders are amazing fliers. I lost the original booster in the creek at a NERRF. This is the rebuilt booster with my own vacuum-formed cone and Excelsior decals.

Drew

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually the Blast From The Past Rocketry kit from a number of years ago. Fantastic kit! The cones are vacuum formed and weigh next to nothing. Balsa was all laser cut. The gliders are amazing fliers. I lost the original booster in the creek at a NERRF. This is the rebuilt booster with my own vacuum-formed cone and Excelsior decals.

Drew

Is/was "blast from the past" an actual company that produced this?

Yes, Mike Jerauld made them using that name. Really amazing kits, excellent instructions and parts. He also did a run of Mach-10s. This must have been at least 8 years ago.

Drew

Welcome to the Centuri Space Shuttle (KC-6 or 5066) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Space Shuttle and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Blast from the Past: Centuri Space Shuttle:
Centuri: Space Shuttle: KC-6 or #5066

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Blast from the Past (Centuri) Space Shuttle Basic Information.

blast_from_the_past.gif
Blast from the Past

(Centuri) Space Shuttle

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Larry Brown

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery:Streamer/glide/glide
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Centuri Space Shuttle (KC-6 or #5066) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Space Shuttle

KC-6, #5066

Introduced: 1971
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Larry Brown

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery:Streamer/glide/glide
Stages: 1
Length: 15"
Diameter: 1.64"
Span: 10"
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The Centuri Space Shuttle is based upon the current proposals now under study by NASA. Flight performance is astounding. The SPACE SHUTTLE streaks skyward to apogee and separates into three parts. Both the carrier ship and the shuttle craft glide slowly back to earth. The "power pod" containing the expended engine returns via streamer. THe kit is complete with colorful decals. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

centuri-space%20shuttle-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog
centuri-space%20shuttle-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog

centuri-space%20shuttle-1976%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1976 Catalog

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back