SCALE - (Atlantic Research) ARCAS Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jFlds

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously we need to upgrade our family cameras! :D

Rockets...camera....rockets....camera...ROCKETS! :D

This was our first AT kit and after many flights, repairs and replacement of original AT parts (of which now are all put in the extra parts box BEFORE we build) she is still one of the kids favorites and mine as well.

This is our infamous "Spongebob ARCASpants" :headbang:

Got the pencil paint job idea from the "Frankendoodle" episode and ran the thermofoil spongebob decals on our Edge machine at the shop.

Straight as an arrow flyer, never fails to fly again even after a few hardware related recovery failures.

She shows the signs of a few battles and you can see the velcro point on the boost section for our camera rigging as well.

1101100558a.jpg

1113100607a.jpg

1113100606a.jpg

25669_1282219528017_1005931824_30656636_358126_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Arcas is one of the Atlantic Research sounding rockets that got a lot of use and had a very unique launcher system. I didn't bother scaling the launcher with this micro T4 scale model but do plan on giving one a try soon.

My full scale ARCAS

ACRASL940WS.JPG

L 902 White

Forgot to add: It went to 8,900ft

JD

Last edited:
Would you guys mind me copying your posts to the Arcas Gallery?

Oh heavens no John ,please put these in the gallery..........................

If you want ,I`m sure these pics of my Arcas will come in very handy to the rocket community :rofl:

Actually ,now that I see them again ,I see i forgot to touch up some of the paint and spiral seams.

bwahhhhhahahahha.......I kill myself

Paul

Attachments

• php0zmTQFPM.jpg
    php0zmTQFPM.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 113
  • phpDxIXugPM.jpg
    phpDxIXugPM.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 113
  • phpYI3T31PM.jpg
    phpYI3T31PM.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 147
Here's mine. 4" with basswood nosecone and boattail, 12-ply fins, dual deployment. Saw a steady diet of K motors until it was lost last year when the main deployed at apogee (over 1 mile) and drifted well off the field never to be seen again....:mad:

I did a build thread that I believe is in the 'Archives' section.

finished2.jpg

:confused2:

If you want ,I`m sure these pics of my Arcas will come in very handy to the rocket community :rofl:

Actually ,now that I see them again ,I see i forgot to touch up some of the paint and spiral seams.

Paul

Hey ,I was just kidding :confused2:

Not to worry ,I have something special in the works...stay tuned ;)

But it WAS a sweet flyer !

Hmmm ,looking at it now, looks the the anti -build .

Paul

:confused2:

Hey ,I was just kidding :confused2:

Not to worry ,I have something special in the works...stay tuned ;)

But it WAS a sweet flyer !

Paul

I figured you were kidding but I also figured that this does qualify as an all too common "variation on a theme".

Does not get more "varied" than that .It was an Aerotech and an exellent flyer at that.Ejection failed to go off ,and came down 6 feet from somebody`s VW Jeta.....hit the gravel.....POOF !

If I were to ever buy another mid-power rocket ,this would be the one.As a matter of fact ,my apprentice got into rocketry and I sold him on an Arcas (Aerotech) ..he loves it on S/U motors.

I`ll try to get him into re-loads ,but his wife may have something to say about that. I am such a bad influence on these darn kids ;)

Truth be known ,I bought him an Estes Mean Machine and some D`s....just to set the seed.

He`s hooked :D

Paul

Does not get more "varied" than that .It was an Aerotech and an exellent flyer at that.Ejection failed to go off ,and came down 6 feet from somebody`s VW Jeta.....hit the gravel.....POOF !

If I were to ever buy another mid-power rocket ,this would be the one.As a matter of fact ,my apprentice got into rocketry and I sold him on an Arcas (Aerotech) ..he loves it on S/U motors.

I`ll try to get him into re-loads ,but his wife may have something to say about that. I am such a bad influence on these darn kids ;)

Truth be known ,I bought him an Estes Mean Machine and some D`s....just to set the seed.

He`s hooked :D

Paul

A guy in my club started started with an Estes Dragonite last year and immediately moved to the AT Arcas. He did a beautiful job and it is his most dependable rocket. He built several other AT rockets but often had trouble with those "scrubbers" they use and lost several. He finally swore them off and pulled it out his Arcas to same himself some grief later.

Thought I would post a few pics of my near full scale Arcas,it is 4" in diameter and 8 feet tall,a little taller but a little smaller in diameter than the real thing.What do you guys think?

arcas1.jpg

fin can
fincan.jpg

bottom of main body fin can removed
bodybottom.jpg

fin can
fincan3.jpg

=============
Post copied to gallery with OP's permission

A guy in my club started started with an Estes Dragonite last year and immediately moved to the AT Arcas. He did a beautiful job and it is his most dependable rocket. He built several other AT rockets but often had trouble with those "scrubbers" they use and lost several. He finally swore them off and pulled it out his Arcas to same himself some grief later.

I did the same with my G-Force after last summers "tree hugger" fiasco.

Now ready and able with CTI sparkies.
Going back, seems I`m the only one with a G-Force entry.How can this be ?

Out of interest ,the ARCAS rocket was launched through a breech launcher.How bizzare.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul

The nose cone reminds me of soft serve.

Hey, that's not an Arcas -

That's a CARCASS!!!

Ice cream.jpg

Looks like I picked the wrong day to fly rockets. This photo is probably from 1993. The rain had stopped but the low soup remained. The photo is the only flight of my Aerotech HV Arcus. I can not remember what motor is was, but I'm thinking G40. I've not flown too many F's. The rocket went into the clouds and that was it. We didn't hear an ejection event, never saw a parachute, never heard a lawn dart.

I thought there was an Arcus Gallery. I didn't see one so I'm posting it here. John, you have permission to move it if you like.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• HV Arcus.jpg
    HV Arcus.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 88
This was one of Estes first BT55 kits, built around 1967 and flown a lot. Originally it was black and light blue, I don't know how I got to the current paint scheme. Also it has been shortened a couple of times to its present length.

IMG_2126b.jpg

The nose cone reminds me of soft serve.

Hey, that's not an Arcas -

That's a CARCASS!!!

It takes a true master to create a scale soft serve nose cone like that! I bow before the master. :handshake::handshake::w:

Or is that a Whoville rocket? :grin:

Welcome to the Scale (Atlantic Research) Arcas Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Atlantic Research Arcas sounding rocket and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Areotech: HV Arcas: #89012
Enertek: Arcas: #8820
Estes: ARCAS: K-26 or 1226
MAC: Arcas
Madcow: Arcas HV: K-144
Rocket R&D: Arcas:
Semroc: SLS Arcas:KS-5
Semroc: Arcas: KS-8
Thrustline: Arcas: TACL-017

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Arcas — also designated ARCAS — was the designation of an American sounding rocket, which was launched between July 31, 1959 and August 9, 1991 at least 421 times. The Arcas has a maximum flight altitude of 52 kilometers, a takeoff thrust of 1.5 kN, a takeoff weight of 34 kilograms, and a diameter of 11 centimeters. The Arcas was 2.30 m long and had a fin span of 0.33 m.

Areotech HV Arcas (89012) Basic Information.

aerotech.gif
Aerotech Consumer Aerospace

HV Arcas

Introduced: 1989
Final Year:
Designer: Dan Meyer , Marc McReynolds

Type: Sport Scale
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 56"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 22 oz.

Mfg. Description: This replica of the high-velocity version of the ARCAS sounding rocket is nearly 60% the size of the real one! Complete with a detailed blueprint. (1990 Aerotech Catalog)

=====

This replica of the high-velocity version of the ARCAS sounding rocket is nearly 60% the size of the real one! The ARCAS' precision scale molded fins reflect details right down to the bolt head. Complete with a detailed blueprint and data plate. (1992 Aerotech Catalog)

=====

This replica is 60% the size of the actual high velocity Arcas sounding rocket and features precision molded fins, authentic decals, a data plate and detailed engineering blue=print. (2007-08 Aerotech Catalog)

=====

This replica of the high-velocity version of the Arcas sounding rocket is nearly 60% the size of the real one! The Arcas' precision scale molded fins reflect details right down to the bolt head. Complete with detailed blue print and data plate. (AeroTech 2013 Web Ad)

areotech%20-%20arcas%20-%201990%20cat%20livery.jpg
1990 Aerotech Catalog
areotech%20-%20arcas%20-%201992%20cat%20livery.jpg
1992 Aerotech Catalog
areotech%20-%20arcas%20-%202007%20cat%20livery.jpg
2007 Aerotech Catalog

areotech%20-%20arcas%20-%202013%20web.jpg
2013 Aerotech Web Ad

areotech%20-%20arcas%20-%20instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Arcas (K-26 or 1226) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes

Arcas

K-26 or 1226

Introduced: 1966
Final Year: 1977
Designer:

Type: Scale
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 22.82"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span: 3.82"
Weight: 1.44 oz.

Mfg. Description: Precise scale model of the famous ARCAS sounding rocket. A handsome model to display, an exciting one to launch. Zooms hundreds of feet into the sky, return's gently by its 18" multi-color parachute ready for a fresh engine and another flight. Easily assembled, kit comes complete with all parts, decal and instruction. (Estes 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog
1969 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

=====

Precise scale model of the famous ARCAS sounding rocket. A handsome model to display, an exciting one to launch. Zooms hundreds of feet into the sky; return's gently by its 18" multi-color parachute ready for a fresh engine and another flight. Easily assembled, kit comes complete with all parts, decal and instruction but no engines. (Estes 1970 Catalog)

estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2067%20cat%20livery.jpg
1967 Estes Catalog
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2068%20cat%20livery.jpg
1968 Estes Catalog
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2069%20cat%20livery.jpg
1969 Estes Catalog

estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2070%20cat%20livery.jpg
1970 Estes Catalog
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2071%20cat%20livery.jpg
1971 Estes Catalog
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2072%20cat%20livery.jpg
1972 Estes Catalog

estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2073%20cat%20livery.jpg
1973 Estes Catalog
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%2075%20cat%20livery.jpg
1975 Estes Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%20face%201.jpg
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%20face%202.jpg
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%20face%203.jpg
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%20face%204.jpg
estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%20face%205.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes%20-%20arcas%20k26-1226%20-%20instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
My first Arcas. Semroc Deci.. I was pretty happy with it considering I have Zero Patience for Paint drying....

Arcas.JPG

My Semroc SLS ARCAS in Pearl white and metal flake bluearcas 019.jpg

Here's mine. 4" with basswood nosecone and boattail, 12-ply fins, dual deployment. Saw a steady diet of K motors until it was lost last year when the main deployed at apogee (over 1 mile) and drifted well off the field never to be seen again....:mad:

Wow, I forgot about this thread! :eek:

Actually, mine was recovered 14 months after it was lost. The following text was from a club forum, followed by a few pictures of what 14 months of weather did to it.
-----------------
Hello all,
I found a 4" Red and White Arcas today, east of the launch field in Manchester, TN. It was a cardboard over wrap airframe, I believe. There was very little
left of the air frame, it had deteriorated very badly. Of the body parts about all that may be salvageable is possibly the nose cone and tail cone and some
of the hardware. It had a minialt altimeter in it. It didn't look terrible, but I haven't put any power to it. It had a orange parachute that had some
burn holes through it. It had a 54 mm motor in it.
David
---------------
(My reply)--One of my lost birds has found its way home...

A little history is in order...
Back in '06 I built a 4.08" ARCAS. It was one of the best kits I've had the pleasure to build. I documented the
build on TRF, and is viewable in the 'Archive' section....
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=28736&highlight=...
Over the years, my ARCAS had many perfect flights and recoveries on J & K motors. During Southern Thunder '10,
everything changed. On Saturday, I flew my ARCAS on a AMW/ProX K455. The boost was flawless. The on-board
PerfectFlite MAWD was set for apogee deployment (drogueless) with Main chute set at 500'. At apogee we saw an
event as expected, but a few seconds it was later it was apparent that the main shook free and deployed. The
descent was slow and agonizing as the wind carried the rocket into the woods on the east side of the field.
Fast forward to 8/6/11. Fellow rocketeer David Bishop posted of an Arcas that had he found in the woods while
searching for one of his rockets, and the description matched mine. I contacted him, and thanks to David and Kyle,
my Arcas was home the following day. 14 months in the woods was not very nice to my ARCAS. All the cardboard tubes were gone, but everything else
(except the fins) was there. I connected the PF MAWD to a fresh battery and it powered-up and started beeping.
Cool! I thought I'd go one step further, so I connected the MAWD to my computer via the data cable, and to my
amazement, data was displayed of the ill-fated flight. OK, I have data, but does the MAWD still work? I used the
test mode of the data cap program and was able to fire both the drogue and main channels manually. I don't know if
the baro sensor is still good, because I haven't done a bench 'flight' yet. Might do that one day just to see.
A big thanks to David and son Kyle for their efforts in returning the Arcas to me, and even though no part of the
rocket will ever fly again, I have one thing....closure.
Kevin
------------------------

A few pictures of the aftermath follow...

kevin_arcas1.jpg

kevin_arcas2.jpg

kevin_arcas3.jpg

kevin_arcas4.jpg

Back