Estes - Optima (#2035) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Estes OPTIMA, A big BT-80 (2.6") x 47.5" long. New for 1990 this was a big one!
As always I tried to build as light as practical while doing my usual sight changes to the shockcord and mount adding 30" of 100lb kevlar braided line and 40" to the 1/4" elastic shockcord. Big as it was I resisted the temptation to alter the motor mount into a Mighty D12 cluster.....I should alway listen to myself about such things but we'll see this a bit later.
The kit came with a brand new PNC-80K very nice light weight styrene nosecone and 3/16" for fins and strakes. Also included was some very nice Metal flake Adhesive backed tape.
painted and finished the model was a bit heavier then I thought it would come out almost 12oz. With a D12-3 we were pushing the 14oz max lift recommendation but I just assumed ESTES knows what it's doing LOL!!!

Optimas first launch was an eventful affair at one of our many BSA sport launches. the day was sort of overcast with a fairly stiff breeze coming in from the NW.
I was lucky enough to be using a 35mm with auto winder on this launch which I recorded for posterity...not knowing I was about to have a GREAT BAD flight log for the books LOL!!.
Loaded with a D12-5 I was pretty sure it would be a fine flight. with the wind picking up I decided to tilt the 3/16" rod a bit With the wind to carry the model away for the River just over the berm seen in the background of the photos. I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story. 5...4...3...2...1...Launch!
to be continued...

060Lp01a-sm_Optima onpad D12-5 1st flt_04-14-90.jpg

060Lp01b-sm_Canted to Breeze Liftoff_04-14-90.jpg

060Lp01c-sm_Weathercocking midflight_04-14-90.jpg

060Lp01d-sm_1-1000 Coasting_04-14-90.jpg

060Lp01e-sm_2-1000 Coasting_04-14-90.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
3-1000...Oh man this is gonna be close.....
Incoming.....I could not have split those two Navy 40foot trailers better if I'd tried...straight to the Asphalt deck...CRUN.....CH!

We can rebuild it...we have the technology....better, faster...stronger..No wait. LIGHTER?

060Lp01f-sm_3-1000 Humm Still Coasting_04-14-90.jpg

060Lp01g-sm_4-1000 Uh-OH! INCOMING_04-14-90.jpg

060Lp01h-sm_5-1000 OUCH! rebuild_04-14-90.jpg

About a month later...same location. MUCH better conditions (note flag hanging to right). Better info this time STRAIGHT UP no cant at all and a D12-3 not -5!

Better but Only 125-150feet? HUMM...something has to be done.

060Lp02a-sm_Optima D12-3 Straight UP!_05-26-90.jpg

060Lp02b-sm_Optima Midflight_05-26-90.jpg

060Lp02c-sm_Optima @ 150ft Apogee_05-26-90.jpg

060Lp02d-sm_Optima under 30in hemi_05-26-90.jpg

After adding 3 BT-55 external pods the Augmented Optima is ready for her first test flight using 1 D12-5 core motor and 3- D12-0's in the outboard pods.

Woo-WEE Now that's the ticket! What a pretty flight and recovery...Flew it twice that day and she's seen more than 20 additional 4D flights since. Still flying strong after 21years.

I think if I had it to really do over I'd add a second D12 to the core making it a full 5 D12 cluster, but overall I really enjoy flying this model with the external pods and 4 motors.

060a-sm_Optima augmented 4D_04-09-90.jpg

060-b3a-sm_Optima 4D Cluster BEST Ignition_02-08-92.jpg

060-b3c-sm_Optima 4D Cluster under canopy_02-08-92.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of these back in the day, 1994ish? Painted it a beautiful Metallic green, my favorite color. I don't usually paint rockets green but this one was big enough that I wasn't concerned about loosing it in the grass. As I recall it took four or five maybe six cans of Testors spray to finish it=expensive.

My first flight on a D12 was good but unimpressive. The second flight on an E15 was a bit more exciting. I pushed the button and my beautifully finished rocket exploded into a hundred pieces.:y:

This was my first E15 cato but it would not be my last. An E15 claimed my Broad Sword next followed by several more of my larger Estes and scratch built models. That summer was a model rocket massacre. I still wake up some nights, drenched in sweat, screaming, "no, no, don't push the button! It's going to explode!".

I can thank Estes and their E15 motors for my PTSD.

I bought one of these back in the day, 1994ish? Painted it a beautiful Metallic green, my favorite color. I don't usually paint rockets green but this one was big enough that I wasn't concerned about loosing it in the grass. As I recall it took four or five maybe six cans of Testors spray to finish it=expensive.

My first flight on a D12 was good but unimpressive. The second flight on an E15 was a bit more exciting. I pushed the button and my beautifully finished rocket exploded into a hundred pieces.:y:

This was my first E15 cato but it would not be my last. An E15 claimed my Broad Sword next followed by several more of my larger Estes and scratch built models. That summer was a model rocket massacre. I still wake up some nights, drenched in sweat, screaming, "no, no, don't push the button! It's going to explode!".

I can thank Estes and their E15 motors for my PTSD.

I can sure commiserate with that Jeff! My daughter and I were competing in a regional about that same time frame, I believe the event was E eggloft. I purchase a single pack of E15-7's from a local hobby shop for the event.
At the field I opened the pack handed one of the motors to Kathleen and took the other myself. As it happened she got in the que first. 5..4..3..2..1...Woosh! Great flight...she placed first in A division. I got to the pad. hooked up and waited. My turn came...5...4...3...2..1... BOOM! blew the model to tiny pieces and spread egg everywhere LOL!!!
Talk about the luck of the draw LOL! I was glad it hadn't worked the other way but man was that a surprise...talk about egg on my face LOL!!!!:)

Last edited:
Love the Optima! I have a clone (with a 38mm motor mount & rigged for dual deployment) almost ready to fly (with awesome decals from Stickershock!).

Still (mostly) have my original one from the 90's. I also made the mistake of trying to fly it on a D12-5, with results very similar to Micromeister's. After repairs, I tried it again on a D12-3... which CATO'ed (first one I'd ever had, in 20+ years of flying), ripping the motor mount out completely. Replaced *that* with a 29mm one. Next flight was a G80 - which stripped the fins right at motor burn out. Was an awesome flight tho! :)

The Shadow was basically the Optima supplied with a motor mount for the ill-fated E15. So I'm going to include mine. :D

Being a B5 fan, I had to paint the Shadow rocket in the colours of the Shadow race...

shadow.jpg

I had picked up one of the new Estes Optima kits to build in June 1990 but I decided it just couldn't be stock. I decided it should LOOK like a stock Optima kit but really be something different.

I decided to construct it so it could handle a small 'H' motor, if I wanted to go with that powerful a motor. Otherwise, I would fly it on 29mm 'F' & 'G' motors.

By the time I finished the Optima, the only original kit parts were the nose cone, decals and the forward balsa strakes/fins. All other components had been replace with AeroTech kit parts and the fins cut out of plywood and mounted 'through-the-wall' to the motor mount Fin-Lok rings. I spent quite a bit of time on the finishing as I wanted it to look like a display model.

My Optima has only flown on AeroTech F25-6W White Lightning motors. Gotta love that flame and smoke. :D

Estes Optima Modified NARAM-35.jpg

Estes Optima Modified Launch NARAM-35.jpg

This is probably my favorite rocket design. The Shadow was recently finished(after starting the build in june of '97). The Optima is my father's that I'm currently in the process of re-habbing and updating a bit. I've got another finless BT-80 airframe that's about 3 inches short, but going to end up as a clone. Considering a Bluetube 29mm MMT build as well.

5802877980_11e1acdf1c_b.jpg

Here's one more of the crew. I'll update when I finish the 3rd's paint (bluetube 29mm), and build the 4th.
6176388266_1e12ee840c_z.jpg

I've decided my next scratch Micro will be a downscale Optima. Leaning toward T3 but also thinking about an internal 3 motor cluster that might call for a BT-20.. Well see once I put it on paper which will have the better flight potential;) or perhaps a T4 core Optima with 3 add-on external pods making it a MMX-II 4 motor cluster..Humm perhaps I'll have to build all three LOL!!! we'll see.

Last edited:
A micro sounds cool. I love this design. I've got the Semroc mini kit, but haven't built it yet. I think I'm going to do a few of those to play around with paint ideas. And you know.... I think I coulda fit a 38 in this next one hehe.

Here's the 29mm blue tube in some paint:

6233017906_3e4a6d2e92_b.jpg

Last edited:
This one is now totally finished! After great service from Stickershock23 The optima29 will never fly naked again. Here is is on the pad at today's NOVAAR launch. If you were there, you might have seen it. :)

optima29crop-vi.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Welcome to the Estes Optima (#2035) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Optima (#2035) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Optima: #2035
Estes: Shadow: #2094
MMWW: T-3 Optima: #385

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Optima (#2035) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Optima Also known as:

NUMBER: #2035

Introduced: 1990
Final Year: 1994
Designer: Mike Dorffler

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 47.5"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 8.3 oz

Mfg. Description: You may want a van to transport this monstrous rocket to the launch site! Only 1/2 an inch less than 4 feet tall and more than 3 inches around this rocket requires a Maxi Rod for launch guidance and a "D" engine for lift-off power. Recovery is via 24" parachute from altitudes of 390 feet. Kit includes chrome and metal flake pressure sensative decals plus a large water transfer kit decal. (Estes 1990 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-optima%202035-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1990 Catalog
estes-optima%202035-1992%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1992 Catalog
estes-optima%202035-1993%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1993 Catalog

estes-optima%202035-1994%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1994 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-optima%202035-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-optima%202035-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Shadow (#2094) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Shadow Also known as:

NUMBER: #2094

Introduced: 1994
Final Year: 1996
Designer: Mike Dorffler

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 47.5"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 8.6 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

estes-shadow%202094-1994%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1994 Catalog
estes-shadow%202094-1995%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1995 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-shadow%202094-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-shadow%202094-instr.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
The Optima clone was ready to fly all week, waiting on the Mylar tape I'd ordered last weekend. Well, it arrived yesterday while I was at the field. :mad::eyeroll: Unfortunately not all companies we deal with give Semroc quality service, so the Optima was a study in black and white.

EstesOptimaglamourshot.jpg

Flight was almost exactly the same as the Viking 4 before it. Slow off the pad, big windcock to the east, ejection at apogee, and recovered like a bat back to hell on the 12" chute. (Ooh, a brain fart!)

Optimaignition.jpg

Optimaliftoff.jpg

Optimaclearstherod.jpg

Optimaclimbsout.jpg

Wasn't quite so lucky this time. The hard recovery cracked a fillet and broke the joint between the fin can and upper body tube. The black need a repaint anyway.

Optimahardlanding.jpg

Optimadamage-crackedfilletandreopenedtubejoint.jpg

Like I said earlier, the Mylar tape was waiting on me when I got home, but I have some work to do before it goes on. I'll post a pic when the weather and I can sync up painting times.

The weather behaved last week, at least long enough for me to get the repairs done and repaint the scarred black section. Today I applied the Mylar tape, which turned out as nice as I'd hoped it would. The orange that the place had seemed kinda dull, so I went with red instead. I still have 1 1/2 fins to finish taping, but this is the project so far.

001-14.jpg

003-9.jpg

004-10.jpg

Last edited:
MMWW (Estes) Optima (#385) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: T-3 Optima Also known as:

NUMBER: #385

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:
Designer: Mike Dorffler, John McCoy

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 6.8125"
Diameter: 0.375"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

mmww-(estes)%20optima%20385-plan.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20optima%20385-face.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

mmww-(estes)%20optima%20385-face.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here is my upscale Shadow that I flew for my Level 2 cert. The motor was a CTI J400 Smoky Sam. The rocket is 5.5 in diameter, 8-1/2 ft tall, 12 lbs on the pad. Photos by my son Joe.

IMGP2061edit.jpg

IMGP2063edit.jpg

IMGP2064edit.jpg

IMGP2096edit.jpg

IMGP2141edit.jpg

Here is my completed Optima. Virtually all stock except motor retainer (AP) and I swapped out the rubber band shock cord for a much much longer fabric/elastic cord. Also changed the launch lugs. The instructions have you put two on, one in the forward fin joint and one in the aft fin joint. I felt that this would make clean/strong fillets impossible so I put 1/4in lugs centered on the body tube. You can also see that I did not put on the fin decals. This was primarily because the decal that was provided for the body tube (in the pic) was yellow and the fin decals were orange. I did not like the contrast and what I ended up with was IMO a very clean look. Cannot wait to fly it this Saturday at SARG.

2013-03-13_08-12-58_698.jpg

Here is my completed Optima. Virtually all stock except motor retainer (AP) and I swapped out the rubber band shock cord for a much much longer fabric/elastic cord. Also changed the launch lugs. The instructions have you put two on, one in the forward fin joint and one in the aft fin joint. I felt that this would make clean/strong fillets impossible so I put 1/4in lugs centered on the body tube. You can also see that I did not put on the fin decals. This was primarily because the decal that was provided for the body tube (in the pic) was yellow and the fin decals were orange. I did not like the contrast and what I ended up with was IMO a very clean look. Cannot wait to fly it this Saturday at SARG.

That turned out really sharp, Jason! Want to drag race with my Shadow? :tongue:

That turned out really sharp, Jason! Want to drag race with my Shadow? :tongue:
It needs to be handicapped a little....Jason uses CTI, Jim uses Aerotech. That'll give you a good head start Jason. :p

Latest posts

Back