North Coast Rocketry - Brighthawk Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As many of you know I'd rather take a beating then fly AP. So long ago when I was upscaling and clustering just about everything I laid my hands on North Coast Rockety had a very good looking 2.6" diameter rocket with optional Side pods.
What I saw was a max bp 5- D12-5 Cluster conversion waiting to happen.
I made it so.
Further I decided to make this a Night flying Cluster as well adding LED's in the Solid foam Nosecone, around the body and accenting the NAR Logos on both sides. At the time the biggest LED's were 10mm @ 12,000 mcd orange so that's what was installed in the very tip of the NC.

Day or Night I still love setting this one up for Relay cluster ignition, it's a great fun flyer and looks fine under a 36" homemade hemi chute.

100-sm_ Brighthawk 5D_03-04-91.jpg

100-c_BrightHawk 5-D NiteFlt 3pic_07-10-99.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an awesome looking and flying rocket! But I'm curious. Why don't you like AP?

Yes:
We can call it rebellion, or purest if you like. I've been flying "Model Rockets" almost as long as they've been in existance, At one time I built and flew with an amateur rocket club hosted by NRL..with all sorts of Professional steely eyed rocket man as mentors. Alas I've had the misfortune to seen what can happen when things get TOO BIG, and FAR to Powerful, losing a close friend and associate to a really silly..no downright stupid at the pad "accident".
I've been firmly against APCP since it's first apperance in our hobby, and nothing i've seen the past 20 years along the way as changed my mind in the least, Sorry truth is truth...So far we've been extremely lucky but I'd hate to see more then 45year of nearly perfect Safety ruined by the unthinking "We can do anything we want attitude" so pervelant in the AP flying community.
I don't try to push my mindset on others, but I won't likely change my mind set either... I firmly believe AP with be the downfall of the hobby as we know it. that's just the way it is.
In fact I've actually gone the complete other way now...building and flying almost nothing but Micro Maxx for more then a decade now. With all the joy, challange and excitement without any of the apcp downsides.
Them's my thoughts and observations...and I'm sticking to them.

Last edited:
I can honestly say I never noticed that you specifically were against AP, I just thought you were a fan of clusters/micromaxx. I thank you for having your view and allowing others to have a differing view without making it a focal point. Thanks also for your interesting posts and documenting your rocketry with pictures. I honestly imagine you have the largest collection of photographs of projects you've built in the entire hobby.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend and associate and hope that it was not a rocket related incident.

Sandy.

I can honestly say I never noticed that you specifically were against AP, I just thought you were a fan of clusters/micromaxx. I thank you for having your view and allowing others to have a differing view without making it a focal point. Thanks also for your interesting posts and documenting your rocketry with pictures. I honestly imagine you have the largest collection of photographs of projects you've built in the entire hobby.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend and associate and hope that it was not a rocket related incident.

Sandy.

Thank you for understanding Sandy;
It was indeed a rocketry related "explosion" On the pad accident bad enough to hear about..devastating to witness:(
But Enough of this...the Thread is about a GREAT flying Clustered Model, The North Coast Rocketry Brighthawk.
I'm sure there have got to be a few folks out there that have built and flown it or one of it's larger brothers?? I believe the model was in the 1990-91 catalogs:)

Back