Estes - Solar Flare Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When the Solar Flare was released last year I knew it was gonna have to be downscaled.
I wasn't at all sure we'ed have a booster motor so decided to just make it a single motor downscale. Looking to a Clear payload tube about the right size was one of the main stumbling blocks that kept this model on the drawing board for a long while. clear Polyethylene mailing tube ended up being the closest fit I could find which was just a tab oversized.
Shes on the large side in T3 main body .375" tubing and over 10" long with a BT-55 coupling used as the fin ring. After a good amount of thinning this coupling took a lot of filler and sanding to get s decent finish, which also added a lot of mass. Basswood custome turned nosecone with added #9 shot nose weight and 1/16" fins all added up to a model tipping the scales at 14.1g. add some internal things and a 3/4" x 18" orange teflon wadding/streamer and a MMX-II motor we had a Heavy 15.2 gram LOWt. Just a bit much from this design.
I've redesigned this model for T2+ just haven't gotten around to building it yet.

Post Copied with Permission

Attachments

• MM 361p01f2-sm_T-3 Micro Solar Flare_01-12-09.JPG
    MM 361p01f2-sm_T-3 Micro Solar Flare_01-12-09.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back