Zylaxus: a dubious build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, comparing apples to kumquats to avocados

On your images the top looks gold, but bottom looks gray, not silver (may be best rendering of silver OR can do.)

RE the model, I like the gold better, and even if pic 2 looked silver, I think I’d still prefer the gold.

RE the BALL, the gold it doesn’t show off the ball as well as the gray. OTOH not sure true silver would spotlight it any more than the gold.

Kind of a pickle, because the ball is a pretty important part of the concept, and you sure put plenty of thought, time, and work on it.

On your images the top looks gold, but bottom looks gray, not silver (may be best rendering of silver OR can do.)
OR is just showing a solid color unless you add a decal texture to it. To get the best possible silver, you need to apply a silver texture. I've done that in the past, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble here. Silver without the metallic texture is just gray.

On this (old) model I went to the trouble of putting in the silver textures. You can see it has more life to it than just gray.
1715219211550.png

On the Zylaxus model I think I just chose too dark a gray, making it look very dull next to the much brighter gold color in the render. It'll look better in real life (and, unlike the fluorescent orange, *will* show up properly in pictures). Here is the model with a lighter grey (still no texture):
1715219424437.png

Might blow the theme, but I think a dark but vibrant color (so contrasts with BOTH the black AND the ball) for the cage fins might work (I don’t think black would work, you’d lose the cage), but keep a metallic color for the other tail fins and probably the canards. Maybe a metallic green or purple for the cage.

Back