You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I graduated in 1974. I don't remember ever seeing a girl in jeans in school. Mini skirts yes jeans no.
Around 1970 or so my high school allowed girls to start wearing slacks. If they wore jeans, or maybe for all girls wearing slacks, they had to wear a long shirt or sweater. I think there ended up being a lot of leeway in this. They had pretty strict rules on skirt length, had to be less than a certain amount above the knee, maybe 2". And there was a strict rule about boys sideburns. This was enforced by the coaches with dry razors.

...if you remember the 'coffee crisis' in the late 70s, an early example of shrinkflation. We had a Mr. Coffee in the grad students' research lab (THAT would go over like an osmium balloon today). Users were expected to buy a pound can of coffee in rotation. The price of beans shot up and 'pound' became '13 ounces'. Folgers even brought out nasty 'flaked' coffee that needed less for each pot. (The group's cheapskate--not me--would buy a bag of 13oz flaked until he was called out on it.)

And the one-pound coffee can/bag disappeared into the mist, forever and ever. The end. :(

[@cwbullet, Chuck, thank you for starting this thread. Seriously. It's delving up stuff from my brain's forgot-it bin. I think it's helping memory in general; certainly it can't hurt. :) ]

Around 1970 or so my high school allowed girls to start wearing slacks. If they wore jeans, or maybe for all girls wearing slacks, they had to wear a long shirt or sweater. I think there ended up being a lot of leeway in this. They had pretty strict rules on skirt length, had to be less than a certain amount above the knee, maybe 2". And there was a strict rule about boys sideburns. This was enforced by the coaches with dry razors.
I was a little late for the high school sumptuary rules. And glad I am of it; I would have to have gone to school in a skirt to protest.

And the one-pound coffee can/bag disappeared into the mist, forever and ever. The end. :(
Still oft' lamented. As are the tobacco cans of a yet earlier age. What's not lamented is the two Tbsp scoop that came in the top of every can, the way you couldn't bring yourself to throw them away, and the resulting drawers full of them. (OK, "drawers full" is an exaggeration.)

Still oft' lamented. As are the tobacco cans of a yet earlier age. What's not lamented is the two Tbsp scoop that came in the top of every can, the way you couldn't bring yourself to throw them away, and the resulting drawers full of them. (OK, "drawers full" is an exaggeration.)
Those tobacco cans were a prominent features of the Sawtooth Mountains where I grew up. Most every bodies claims were posted by the upside down Prince Albert can nailed to a tree with the claim securely tucked up inside.

Why was it tethered? Why not make it stand alone without the base?

There was no inexpensive RC back then. The Tether was the POWER delivered to the Chopper via a rotating cable.

The base contained the motor and provided Pitch control as well as RPMs on the rotor via the rotating cable.

Being Tethered also MADE IT SAFE, no flying away into Mom's China Cabinet.

They were (still are if you have them) good for a lot of the same things, like nails, that coffee cans are, but with tighter fitting, more durable lids. I have a bunch from my grandfather's workshop.

Back