Yet another E12 Cato

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Estes sent me a new Majestic and a pack of E12-4's last Sept because my Majestic suffered a weak ejection charge. Well yesterday was the first flight with the new Majestic, using one of the new E's. None of the igniters that came with the motors worked so I used a previous generation igniter enhanced with testers silver paint.

FB_IMG_1714334707684.jpg

IMG_20240427_114746633.jpg
IMG_20240427_114244938.jpg

Ouch!

Nice picture, though.

Most of my Estes motor failures have all been a result of age, or poor storage.

Guess I don't fly enough!

Estes sent me a new Majestic and a pack of E12-4's last Sept because my Majestic suffered a weak ejection charge. Well yesterday was the first flight with the new Majestic, using one of the new E's. None of the igniters that came with the motors worked so I used a previous generation igniter enhanced with testers silver paint.

View attachment 642842

View attachment 642849
View attachment 642850

Please don't be offended, but I think you have to admit to yourself that you are the problem here. Clearly the Majestic just isn't the rocket for you, and the Gods are trying to tell you that. I'd stop now before they get impatient and someone gets hurt!😁

(sorry for the sarcasm. Sometimes I just crack myself up, and usually I'm the only one.)

But that sux. I have a nice flying machine that took many hours to build. Flies great. But I'm afraid to fly it these days because of the E12 issues. The only bright side is at least the Majestic is an easy build.

Hmm, quite a few failures reported for this motor...

I think I'll pick up a few E18 reloads for my kid's 24mm rockets...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429_122346_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_122346_Chrome.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
Yes, I am worried about my OOP Executioner BT-80 rocket even on D12 motors. I do have E35W-8s for it, but would like lower altitude options.
I love the Executioner too (have 2 of them). Maybe go with the E35 and add a couple of big links to it for extra weight to lower the altitude. Just SIM it out to make sure you get speed off the rod.

On Saturday I sent Estes the following E-mail: (minus the pics and video links because I already posted those)

Douglas Gardei
Apr 27, 2024, 9:5 PM MDT
Hello,

Today I went to fly the new Majestic that I received from Estes last September using the motors that were sent with it.

First problem I had. The igniters were junk. None of them worked. I ended up using an older generation igniter that got the motor started, but once the rocket got a couple feet off the pad, it Cato’ed.

Damage assessment to the Majestic is the motor mount is cooked. The 24mm adapter has wedged itself into the retainer and possibly melted and fused to the motor tube. I have not been able to remove the adapter or the blown casing. The Airframe tubing is noticeably weaker above the motor mount area.

Looks like I will need another Majestic or equivalent
Another pack of E12-4s or Equivalent (Could I get E16-4’s?)
A new 24mm Adapter

Thanks

Took a couple days, which is fine, and I got this in my e-mail.

Scott Hunsicker (Estes Rockets)
Apr 30, 2024, 8:54 AM MDT
Douglas,

Order 179301 was created to send you replacement items, substituted the E16-4 for the E12-4.

Let us know if you have any questions.

1714489865856.png
I'm actually impressed they substituted the motors for me. I felt the E16's were prob a safer choice.

Nice Customer Service by Estes, @n3tjm !

I had never seen the Pro Series Majestic before you made me look :)

Nice Fins !

No paint necessary !!

29mm Motor Mount !!!

Maybe I need to get me one of them kits :)

-- kjh

Scott has been the representative I’ve worked with in the past for my E12 catos, only good experiences interacting with them!
He ghosted me after Estes failed 3 times to send me the correct body tube for my PS Goblin which had a bad bubbled tube in the box. E12's have been a problem since they replaced the E9's.

You guys have me thinking to fly all my remaining E9s and E12s with a saucer or shuttlecock

Back