What is your go to rocket for windy conditions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
Mine is the Art Applewhite Steath.
Goes straight up despite the wind and is very easy to recover.

Attachments

• _IMG8686.jpg
    _IMG8686.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I have two I always use first, either the Estes Tigres and High-Flier XL. This was testing out the XL back in August. I changed a few things for windy days and possible tree recoveries. It about a week after I broke my own rules and lost one.

Attachments

• 20231217_103957.jpg
    20231217_103957.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231217_103904.jpg
    20231217_103904.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I take rockets with tube fins, which do not weathercock as much.
Or I'll take something small with streamer recovery like a Goblin -- and then fly on a C6-5 instead of a D.

Actually my go-to model for "the weather is too lousy to fly, but I came all this way, so I have to fly something" is a an Alpha III with a streamer. Windy conditions or rainy conditions or both...

But there is definitely some merit in a tube-fin model.

The BMS School Rocket (the BT-50-based original) is also a good choice, actually.

Something I don't care about. Generally cheap plastic fin rockets with streamers. Think Alpha III, Generic E2X, Phantom Blue, etc.

Honestly, If it's too windy I just watch other people fly and sit there happy I'm not losing my stuff.

If it's windy I just fly smaller motors and use streamers. Watching a lot of rockets I decided that power to weight ratio is an important factor in the wind. A BT-60 motor with B or C motor will tend to go horizontal during thrust more than a BT-50 or smaller rocket. Midpower and Highpower seem to do well during boost too.
It has occurred to me that margin of stability should be an important consideration too although much harder to study.

Preparedness is key. I have a bin full of Black Star Voyagers and Saturn 1Bs that I keep for just such an occasion. Just pull one out of there at random and don’t worry about it.

Back