What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He does, but what's that got to do with it? It does get hot in the desert, and swamp coolers are good when they work, but that's not all the time. It does get cold in the desert. Desert folks need HVAC just like the rest of us.
I just figured the temp swings would require a bigger unit (hot one minute, freezing the next).

I just figured the temp swings would require a bigger unit (hot one minute, freezing the next).
If it's cold at night, you can do a lot with thermal mass. You open up the house (figuratively, don't let the crickets in!) at night to cool it off, and then close it up during the day to hold the coolth* in. I don't know how teepot's house is built, but it helps if there's a lot of brick or stone for thermal mass. Adobe houses are great for this kind of passive temperature management.

* I credit an adobe house builder I knew online years ago for the word, the counterpart of warmth.

If it's cold at night, you can do a lot with thermal mass. You open up the house (figuratively, don't let the crickets in!) at night to cool it off, and then close it up during the day to hold the coolth* in. I don't know how teepot's house is built, but it helps if there's a lot of brick or stone for thermal mass. Adobe houses are great for this kind of passive temperature management.

* I credit an adobe house builder I knew online years ago for the word, the counterpart of warmth.
That is a very clever way of dealing with that, it would massively reduce the amount of work the unit has to do only helping shove it a little one way or another.

That makes sense. Or, it seems to...

The fact is, the large swings occur because of the very low humidity; with virtually no water, the air's heat capacity is very low, so the sun doesn't need to do much work to heat it, and not much conductive or radiative loss is needed to cool it. And the same goes for an HVAC unit; it also does less work per change in temperature than it would in more humid air. As long as the condenser coils are out of direct sun things are not bad.

That makes sense. Or, it seems to...

The fact is, the large swings occur because of the very low humidity; with virtually no water, the air's heat capacity is very low, so the sun doesn't need to do much work to heat it, and not much conductive or radiative loss is needed to cool it. And the same goes for an HVAC unit; it also does less work per change in temperature than it would in more humid air. As long as the condenser coils are out of direct sun things are not bad.
Good point and combining that with the hut technique from @boatgeek makes the desert a easy place to cool stuff, yet another time intuitively falls I guess…

That is a very clever way of dealing with that, it would massively reduce the amount of work the unit has to do only helping shove it a little one way or another.
With a little bit of tolerance for temperature swings, a well-designed thermal mass house doesn't need AC at all.

Don’t you live in a desert?
Yes we do and at 3000'. Temperatures range from single digits, 6 degrees once, to 115 and above. 123 a day last year. Our house is 2700sqft with a 1200sqft garage that has heat and a/c too. Three furnaces the size of a small car in the attic and three a/c units outside. One of those is almost the size of a small refrigerator. Looking at @OverTheTop 's unit and thinking about ours, it didn't seem to be possible for his to be sufficient enough to heat and cool his house.
Edit. our humidity in the summer is single digits and in the winter about 20/25.

Last edited:

Our house has 2x6 studs with as much high R insulation as can be put in. The attic has between 3' and 4' of blown in insulation in it. Garage walls and attic space have the same as the rest of the house. It's stucco with an elastomer paint and a tile roof. The paint seals the stucco and makes it waterproof and keeps air from leaking in or out. The trees we planted 19 years ago are tall enough to shade the east side of the house for a few hours after sunrise. Ready for a shock? We pay our electric bill in a way called level pay. It's common here. It saves us from huge bills in the summer. Keep in mind that everything is electric here. No gas or propane. Besides the house we have a pool. The well pump it electric. Everything. Our monthly bill is $600 and keeps going up. Besides our electrical bill we only pay for garbage service and property taxes. And the taxes are low considering the taxes people I know pay elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back