What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a rocketry workshop at one of our local elementary schools with a couple students from our TARC team. 15 third graders got a rocket to take home after flying it on a 1/2 A in the schoolyard.

That school is the North Seattle center for students learning English, so every one of the kids had English as a second (or more) language. A couple needed translation by teachers or other students.

I also flew a silly oddroc and did a static fire of one of the TARC motors.

Club launch today. Got cut short due to weather moving in but the morning included clear, blue skies so we got a couple of the kids rockets up and I got to send a Leviathan clone on its maiden launch on a G74. Nice flight but an updraft caught it and made for a long walk.

Actually it was yesterday and it was what didn't happen. How's that for screwed- up.

What didn't happen was the monthly Spaceport Rocketry Association Launch (Palm Bay FL). It was canceled due to a burn ban. No launch report.

Yesterday, I built my very first L motor, an L900DM. I am an L3 that's never flown an L, lol.

Today, I built my K805G, J275W, and G61W. These four motors, along with the J350W and I303BS that didn't fly last month, will all be flying at LDRS in 3 weeks.

I also taped the shockcord on the main side of my 5.5" Bullet.

Next, take all rockets being brought to LDRS out to the living room and given a once over.

Tried to fly new rocket glider. Only one of my homemade igniters worked. I think maybe they don't age well or something. Short fuel pellet was not powerful enough to fly it.

Watched a couple of young guys practice for competition. One with a streamer duration rocket, other with a two stager. The sustainer vanished, I don't know how anyone can follow something that small and high. After a bit, we discovered the rear eject part and streamer lying very close by, which is amazing, considering how high it looked like they went. Both of these guys build very light. The streamer got hung up part way out of the tube, but the rocket came down sideways with no damage. The booster came down sideways with no damage, too.

Spent all afternoon trying to get these Black Brant XII fins to shape up and submit to 60 grit sandpaper. I can feel the arthritic hand pain comming on. This isn't my first attempt to get that elusive diamond cross-section. A hardwood core increases the challenge They're not great, but not awful either. I'm not sure if I am completely done shaping them. I'll look at them again in the morning.

Attachments

• 20240513_161125.jpg
    20240513_161125.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240513_160909.jpg
    20240513_160909.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Spent all afternoon trying to get these Black Brant XII fins to shape up and submit to 60 grit sandpaper. I can feel the arthritic hand pain comming on. This isn't my first attempt to get that elusive diamond cross-section. A hardwood core increases the challenge They're not great, but not awful either. I'm not sure if I am completely done shaping them. I'll look at them again in the morning.
Have you tried doing this with a small wood plane? It might save you some pain.

Back