3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've designed the parts of the sounding rocket Honest John-Nike-Nike-Hydac.

These are set to scale wherever possible.

The Hydac is BT-50 based. The Nike BT-60. The Honest John booster is BT-70 based (not shown).

All parts printed on an Ender 3 Pro.

Hydac nose cone and fin can:
Hydac_Nose_Cone_Fin_Can.jpg

Nike-Hydac Adapter:
Nike_Hydac_Adapter.jpg

Nike fin section parts:
Nike_Fin_Can_Parts.jpg

Nike fin can assembled just like the original:
Nike_Fin_Can_Assembled.jpg

I have been doing a lot of larger prints since I got my QIDI Xmax3. Here are 2 estes upscales. The parts picture is the Fatboy (completed in the other image). And then a big daddy. Both printed from ASA (mostly, a little ABS when I ran out and was waiting for more). Both use a scaled version of the IPL nosecone ebay insert (and I just finished my quasar so both can have electronic deployment and tracking). They are both based on a 6 inch Uline shipping tube. Fat boy has a 54 mm mount, and just for fun big daddy has a 75 mm mount (a 3 inch Uline tube). I used a piece of that 3 inch tube in both nosecones with a centering ring so that I could use a smaller ebay (didn't need something 6" in diameter to unscrew). Fatboy will fly this weekend, probably starting with an I300, maybe a J350. Big daddy is currently being assembled. I have made plenty of high power stuff with printing, but never this large, so I guess we will see how I holds up. The fins are all printing with 4 perimeters and 30% cubic infill. I print them standing up with the layer lines mostly aligned with the leading edge.

IMG_4808.jpg
IMG_4844.jpeg

Thoughts on the machine? I'm wanting a large volume machine, and not sure that I want to wait for Bambu to get it's act together and make one.
Honestly I am a fan. I got it thinking I wanted to print more 'exotic' materials, but honestly just being able to print ASA, ABS and PC flawlessly has made me wonder if I really need CF or GF filaments. The heated chamber is absolutely a game changer. It's not perfect, but once you get it setup well it just prints. I do generally use some nano polymer glue every 10 prints or so to make sure I don't have to worry about adhesion. The QIDI print software is just modified prusaslicer, or you can use orcaslicer with no issues. It does use a funny size nozzle, but there's 3rd party options (I have a ruby tipped 0.6 that works well). The wifi dongle it comes with sucks, but you can replace it with a TP link nano for 15 bucks and its plug and play. There's no camera either, but it has a USB port open and I just added a Walmart ONN camera for $20 and again all plug and play. Some people don't like the dry box on the back, but I have my machine on a table in my office with the side against the wall so its easy to get to and works well for me. It will shake a ton so you need a very stable platform. And it's giant and heavy (though my wife still approved). And support is good. You have to wait for Chinese business hours to hear back, but they are prompt and will send replacement pieces if you need them.

Back