SHX-3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't launched many mid-power rockets, but because of this project, I certaily will. This is the mid-power version of the SHX-3, based on a BT-70 tube.
View attachment 114347
This one had no plan drawing to go from, so I extrapolated it from the midpower drawing, and used the smaller SHX-3 as a guide for questionable dimensions.

View attachment 114348

Attachments

• SHX-3 midpower.JPG
    SHX-3 midpower.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 69
  • shroxmidpower.jpg
    shroxmidpower.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 73
The Quest Stiletto falls within the family of SHX-3/Stiletto designs, I think, given that the Stiletto was the nickname for the X-3 entry in the X-plane series.

I cloned this one, including the nose and decals. To get a really good metallic surface, I first painted it with a gloss black undercoat, and then an Aluminum metallic topcoat. I hadn't done that two-step coating before, because I've always been afraid of getting wrinkles painting over paint. But, I was really happy with the results.
View attachment 114366

The original design can be seen at Quest's site.

Attachments

• Stiletto Quest.JPG
    Stiletto Quest.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 65
A variant of the Stiletto that I think was in mind for Estes. It differs from the Quest model, mainly in that the nost fits flush, and it has two keels. Of course, it also doesn't have any Q's on the vertical stabiliers, either. :wink:
View attachment 114367

View attachment 114368
As an Estes model, it would have been called the Lancer, from some hints I saw while researching this rocket. I didn't build both the Lancer and the Stiletto, because they are similar enough.

Attachments

• Stiletto.JPG
    Stiletto.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 74
  • Stiletto plan.gif
    Stiletto plan.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 72
Back