Runcam 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JK, I'll be trying the runcam 6 for the first time at Texas Shootout this weekend. It will be on the sustainer of a 2-stage, so it will see two events of g loading. BUT.. it's looking down not up. I am thinking try it with no foam strip over the SD card just to see what happens. I'm debating that theory. I may throw in a trimmed down foam or cork piece just for peace of mind. I'll let everyone know.
Man, I hope you get some video! My attempts have all been looking down as well.

2024-05-21 18.51.37.jpg
Added my own printed runcam 6 camera shroud to my EZI. Hopefully I get to launch it in June (last two meets were canceled because of rain and I didn't fly over the winter because of flight computer problems on my own flight computer).

View attachment 646762
Added my own printed runcam 6 camera shroud to my EZI. Hopefully I get to launch it in June (last two meets were canceled because of rain and I didn't fly over the winter because of flight computer problems on my own flight computer).
Not to derail the thread, but what paint is that? Looks alot like the Sublime Green Pearl I used on mine.

IMG_5784.jpeg

Not to derail the thread, but what paint is that? Looks alot like the Sublime Green Pearl I used on mine.

View attachment 646774
Krylon Gloss Jungle Green, I primed it with a gloss white base because I find Krylon is terrible at single coat coverage, so it might be a little brighter because of the white layers underneath

RunCam6 worked well. I have uploaded the video at 480P as that is all it would let me do. The 4K video looks great! I lost the rocket and it was later found so I had an opportunity to discover how long a fresh battery lasts laying on the ground at 90 F (69 minutes). It seems that the video files are purposely saved after 12:37 and a new file is started. This video is launching and just a little after main deployment,. Can post more and the second flight if anyone wants.
File Length KB
1 12:37 3,710,460
2 12:37 3,705,233
3 12:37 3,705,242
4 12:37 3,708,138
5 12:37 3,707,522
6 3:58 1,756,716.

Attachments

• American_Flight1_Launch_480P.mp4
    48.8 MB
RunCam6 worked well. I have uploaded the video at 480P as that is all it would let me do. The 4K video looks great! I lost the rocket and it was later found so I had an opportunity to discover how long a fresh battery lasts laying on the ground at 90 F (69 minutes). It seems that the video files are purposely saved after 12:37 and a new file is started. This video is launching and just a little after main deployment,. Can post more and the second flight if anyone wants.
File Length KB
1 12:37 3,710,460
2 12:37 3,705,233
3 12:37 3,705,242
4 12:37 3,708,138
5 12:37 3,707,522
6 3:58 1,756,716.
Nice! Congrats on the flight and the video. I will look at anything you post.

Did you do anything to modify or reinforce the battery door to prevent issues with power interruption?

Nice! Congrats on the flight and the video. I will look at anything you post.

Did you do anything to modify or reinforce the battery door to prevent
No I did not make any modifications. The door on mine closes with a solid "click". The Inverted Pursuits shroud design prevents the door from opening. I did make cutouts in the shroud to match those on the camera as there were none. They plan to incorporate that into the next design iteration. I will post some more videos when I get a chance.

Attachments

• Inverted Pursuits Shroud.png
    Inverted Pursuits Shroud.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 0
Amazing flight!!!!
Upload to a YouTube account, its free.. you can make the videos unlisted and only those with the link can watch. Then post rlthe link here.. that way folks can watch in HD if they want.. the limit here is to save space on the local TRF server

I have both IPL and Additive Aerospace RC6 shrouds and the cap on both push up against the battery door well. My runcam6 also has a nice click on the batt compartment

I have both IPL and Additive Aerospace RC6 shrouds and the cap on both push up against the battery door well. My runcam6 also has a nice click on the batt compartment
Just to clarify, my issue is not with the battery door remaining shut, it is with the internal battery contact apparently being interrupted when the rocket takes off. My failures have all been with larger motors (M1850, M1790, and two L990s) so that might contribute to the issue.

I'm not in that impulse territory yet :(. It would be nice if it was something more like old school 9v terminals... or maybe just a hard wired/soldered battery..

Just took my battery out and it was a pain to get out.. im thinking there's some side to side movement that may be able to disconnect the blade from its mating surface. I wonder if you could tighten the terminals on the battery by slightly bending and making the connection tighter.. the battery contacts come to a point so its a small surface area of contact on the camera blades..

Last edited:
I'm not in that impulse territory yet :(. It would be nice if it was something more like old school 9v terminals... or maybe just a hard wired/soldered battery.
I think hardwired battery is the key thing. Likely why the Mobius works without issues for me while I have never captured a single flight with a RunCam 2 4K or Runcam 6.

I am playing with a RunCam 4 split for near-MD, totally different deal, nowhere near the image quality, and lots of stuff to go wrong with it too, but at least I can solder the battery connections.

IMG_5915.jpeg

JK, I'll be trying the runcam 6 for the first time at Texas Shootout this weekend. It will be on the sustainer of a 2-stage, so it will see two events of g loading. BUT.. it's looking down not up. I am thinking try it with no foam strip over the SD card just to see what happens. I'm debating that theory. I may throw in a trimmed down foam or cork piece just for peace of mind. I'll let everyone know.
Did you get any footage?

I'm also wondering if the lipo inside your battery case has some bad soldered connection.. if you peel back the outside battery label it shows a small lipo packaged inside.. I haven't taken the case apart yet but I think you could solder it in and put the case halves back together.. I wanted to take the case off to see how much room there is for adding a heatsink... heat is still an issue.. the vented case and shrouds help but....

Did you get any footage?
Jkovac, no sir not with the 6. I had an altimeter problem on a 2 stage that shut me down. But, I did get footage of a single stage with a runcam 2 4k to 14k ft. Camera looking down, all was good until the main deployed. I think the shock rocked either the SD card or the battery as we have discussed before. When I checked the camera it was missing the foam strip I normally put over the SD card. Runcam 6 flight should be in 2 weeks since I had to work this weekend.

I'm also wondering if the lipo inside your battery case has some bad soldered connection.. if you peel back the outside battery label it shows a small lipo packaged inside.. I haven't taken the case apart yet but I think you could solder it in and put the case halves back together.. I wanted to take the case off to see how much room there is for adding a heatsink... heat is still an issue.. the vented case and shrouds help but....
I might try soldering that.

FWIW I thought overheating was the issue at first, and it certainly might be a factor, but I tested the RunCam 6 in a vented shroud, on the booster, sitting in the sun, and it ran for about an hour.

But, I did get footage of a single stage with a runcam 2 4k to 14k ft. Camera looking down, all was good until the main deployed. I think the shock rocked either the SD card or the battery as we have discussed before.
Do you have the footage posted?

I had an issue with my runcam2 4k shutting down at liftoff. Turned out the sim card was disconnecting. I corrected the issue with a small bit of electrical tap placed over the sim card and battery to hold it in place prior to putting the battery hatch back on.

Last edited:
Sounds like tape or some hot glue is in order. I had a video not save in the 6 because of a hardish landing. .. it would be nice if they made a version where everything was soldered in.. battery, memory etc.. not saying that it would help a hard landing but maybe take care of launch issues and main deployment shock issues as well

I had an issue with my runcam2 4k shutting down at liftoff. Turned out the sim card was disconnecting. I corrected the issue with a small bit of electrical tap placed over the sim card and battery to hold it in place prior to putting the battery hatch back on.
Yeah I did the same. But instead of some good ol' 33, I trimmed down some foam strips to fit just over the SD cards under the battery cover. It's worked on multiple flights and 3 different RC 2 4ks. This last time it was missing for what ever reason and I missed it during prep. I will say I plan to drill some air vents for the 4k shrouds I have. I think it will give some added reliability. Kudos to Additve Aerospace for adding the vents on the RC6 shroud.

Does anybody make a decent camera with integral memory (NOT using an uSD card)? I've been hesitant to get a camera, because I hear a lot of stories about how unreliable they are. Most of them don't seem to be very suitable for rocketry use.

Does anybody make a decent camera with integral memory (NOT using an uSD card)? I've been hesitant to get a camera, because I hear a lot of stories about how unreliable they are. Most of them don't seem to be very suitable for rocketry use.
You are on to something Cris. We are stuck using drone cameras for weight and size considerations (and that they have developed into a cheap platform for HD video over the years). Drones don't see the same G loading and impact shock we do. So we are stuck with that limitation. I wonder if RunCam would consider on board memory and more robust battery connections for our hobby? While not as sexy as FPV Drones speeding through obstacles and trees and stuff, I think we would be a decent market for them. Or one of famed local electronic vendors could develop something (cough cough). I'll be willing to solder something together with a camera on it 😉

I've had great luck with the overpriced astrocam.. but mine always seems to work and 1080 isn't bad.. Chris would you want to venture out into the camera world and DIY?? You know I'd buy a couple but more likely 4 or 5..lol

Last edited:
Back