• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Rose Fin Jig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisheisey

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For sale, one like new Rose/Harrison Fin jig with 13 and 18 mm mandrels, $400 + $20 US shipping, or free local pick-up from MA. The new batch is going for $500.DSC04409_crop.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04408_crop.JPG
    DSC04408_crop.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC04406_crop.JPG
    DSC04406_crop.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
From the developer

Simply put, this is the very best model rocketry fin jig you can buy. Nothing else on the market even comes close. Although you can put fins on an Estes Alpha with it, that is not what it was designed for. This fin jig is a piece ultra high precision equipment for completely controlling all degrees of fin placement. It allows for very simple, precise, absolutely repeatable fin placement capable of allowing world class competition modelers to compete with the best in the world.

For many years world class competition fliers used a fin jig designed and built by Art Rose :

Art was a U.S. and International medal winning competitor who also happened to be a really talented machinist. For years Art made his fin jigs available and they were highly prized by U.S. and International competitors. In fact, they are so highly prized that you never see one offered for sale on eBay or anywhere else.

But when Art passed away a few years ago, the fin jigs became completely unavailable.

Then my son started competing.And I am a machinist.

So I borrowed one of Art’s fin jigs from a friend and I created my own version. These competition level fin jigs are identical to the original with some new features added. Art’s original jigs had preset hole locations for 3-finned rockets. I added additional holes to allow absolutely precise fin placement for 4-finned rockets as well. There is also a dial on the end of the rotation wheel to all precise fin placement for any number of fins to within 1 degree of whatever you desire. In addition, I had all the aluminum hardware anodized blue (both for part protection and because it just really looks cool, LOL)

As I said at the outset, this is simply the highest precision fin placement jig that you can buy. Nothing else on the market even compares.

The fin jig comes complete with mandrels for 10.5mm, 13mm, and 18mm tube sizes (BT-4, BT-5, BT-20). If you would like, for an extra fee, I can also make other sized mandrels for you.

It also comes with 3 Allen keys for the mandrels.

A great rocketeer once said “straight fins are good. Straighter fins are better. Straightest fins are best. For sport rockets, fin placement is important. For competition rockets, fin placement is vital.”

Even if you are not a competition flier, if you want the very best fin placement possible, this is the tool you need to own.

:

The model being sold by Chris was Dan's previous model which were unavailable for the last two years.
Dan produced a newer version, available for the last 2 months, 2/3 of which are now gone.
I have just received the final batch. At this point it is unlikely that these will be manufactured again.
If you want one please PM me.
Cost for the new version, with 13mm and 18mm mandrels is $500, plus $20 shipping.
I also have a two more 24mm mandrels which are $45 extra if you want one.

Thanks,

Steve

The model being sold by Chris was Dan's previous model which were unavailable for the last two years.
Dan produced a newer version, available for the last 2 months, 2/3 of which are now gone.
I have just received the final batch. At this point it is unlikely that these will be manufactured again.
If you want one please PM me.
Cost for the new version, with 13mm and 18mm mandrels is $500, plus $20 shipping.
I also have a two more 24mm mandrels which are $45 extra if you want one.

Thanks,

Steve
Does the fin thickness cause alignment issues?

Does the fin thickness cause alignment issues?

No. The jig is adjustable for fin thickness, just like the Rose Jig. Art Rose's jig had more play in the adjustment screw for moving the platen back and forth. This made it just slightly tricky to adjust for fin thickness because you had to turn the adjustment back and forth to find just the right setting. Harrison's version has much less play in this adjustment.

Thanks, Wolf. The latest Harrison version moves the platen 1/32" with each full turn of the adjustment screw. On this version the screw knob has a mark to make it very easy to keep track.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Man, that took forever to sell. :)

It's a very niche item.

For those who value that kind of precision, I'm sure these are worth every penny.

For the average flier? Probably not.

Still, they're amazing to see and it would be fun to "play" with one once.

-Kevin

I bought one of the new ones. It's as much of an improvement over my guillotine jig as the guillotine was over my eyeball jig.

Joel,

LOL, maybe. But my favorite comment ever about the Rose fin jig was from a colleague who noted that "you can sit in the front seat of a rental car during a rain delay, put this jig in your lap, and still put on perfect fins." And it's really true. It's really hard to mess up fins using one of these jigs.

Steve

Back