CAD Software Onshape versus Tinkercad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Onshape, mostly because I have quite a bit of Solidworks experience so there wasn't much of a learning curve. All the CAD in my current project below is done in Onshape. It's pretty easy to dump .stl's out for my 3d printer.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/yet-another-100k-attempt.177136/
I've never used Tinkercad but it looks plenty capable for rocket part modeling as well. I wouldn't overthink it - I'd probably just spend an hour two playing with both, pick whichever felt easier to manage and run with it.

Hi @robopup,

Thank you for your response. Your Cad drawing is highly impressive.

I need to add this slightly lengthy comment regarding Onshape.

I am just learning Onshape, and so far I am favorably impressed — except with respect to invoking toolbars. Onshape's procedure for invoking toolbars is unacceptably complicated. The user should be able to bring up a Document toolbar, a Feature toolbar, a Sketch toolbar, an Assembly toolbar, or a Drawing toolbar by pressing one or two buttons. That's it.

Onshape's method of invoking toolbars is so aggravatingly difficult that it is turning into a deal-breaker for me to the point where I am contemplating just forgetting about Onshape altogether.

Anyway, the toolbar issue is obviously not your doing. And you really seem to have a strong understanding of the software. I will keep trying, but I am having difficulty with that aspect of the program.

Stanley

I've used Tinkercad for my scale sounding rocket series. I find it pretty intuitive, and I've build some pretty complicated shapes. But not parametrically. I'm a biochemist by education, so I have no prior experience with CAD. Tinkercad can be used like a 3D art program - which suits me. I use it in conjunction with Openscad part generators for fincans and such.

@MetricRocketeer - I'm not sure I follow that toolbar issue - in a part studio my features tools are 0 clicks away (top of toolbar), sketches, existing assemblies and drawings are one click (top of toolbar and tabs at bottom respectively) and I can create new assemblies, parts or drawings with a couple clicks.

Like I said previously - there are a few free programs out there and they're all more than capable of generating the kind of data we usually need. If one feels more comfortable than the others to you, I'd run with it and not look back.

Tinkercad is an Autodesk platform that is very capable and great for beginners. Tinkercad was started by a couple of engineers and later bought by Autodesk. You can transition to any of the other "AutoCad" programs pretty easily once you master Tinkercad. It will give you a good start to transition to really any CAD software since a lot of the browser based software use the same type interfaces (sketch, solid surfaces, shapes, etc). It's also capable enough to just use without moving on to other software. I started with Tinkercad and move to use Fusion 360.

Tinkercad is an Autodesk platform that is very capable and great for beginners. Tinkercad was started by a couple of engineers and later bought by Autodesk. You can transition to any of the other "AutoCad" programs pretty easily once you master Tinkercad. It will give you a good start to transition to really any CAD software since a lot of the browser based software use the same type interfaces (sketch, solid surfaces, shapes, etc). It's also capable enough to just use without moving on to other software. I started with Tinkercad and move to use Fusion 360.

I started on Tinkercad and moved onto OnShape. I keep toying with FreeCad but its slow and so unintuitive - keep having to change WBs, etc, etc. not to mention some things that OnShape (or others) let you do (such as joining across parts easily) are problematic. Fusion360 I tried but its just a giant pile of crap with its weird hybrid local/cloud software that I didn't look into it further.

No idea what toolbars in onshape you are talking about with the "The user should be able to bring up a Document toolbar, a Feature toolbar, a Sketch toolbar, an Assembly toolbar, or a Drawing toolbar by pressing one or two buttons. "

You don't have to. When you are in part design you get the part toolbar, when you are in a Sketch you get the Sketch toolbar, when you are the assembly you get the Assembly toolbar.

Pretty much everything I've posted 3d shape wise on RF has been done in OnShape. Wish they had an hobby option payment.

I like designing things in Tinkercad. It's easy to learn and kind of fun to design a complex shape using a series of "blocks" and "holes." That said, I've nearly maxed out Tinkercad's capabilities. I've been having fun thinking of "hacks" to do things like evenly place holes on cylinders. I have seen tutorials showing how easy that is to do in OnShape, so that's my next step.

@thzero - I too have struggled with Autocad and FreeCad. Maybe I just need to dedicate more time to learning them, but i'm hoping that OnShape is more intuitive.

@thzero - I too have struggled with Autocad and FreeCad. Maybe I just need to dedicate more time to learning them, but i'm hoping that OnShape is more intuitive.
Yes OnShape is more intuitive to me - there are features its lacking, and some 'argh' parts, but overall

other than none of the major (and minor) have a good common file format. :|

Consider giving Fusion360 a try. It's similar in many ways to Onshape, but I personally find it to be a bit more intuitive (but I also have accumulated a lot more hours working in Fusion than I have in Onshape).

Hi @robopup and @thzero,

I brought up the issue of toolbars in an Onshape forum. One contributor to that forum responded with very useful information by saying this:

"If you've already made a sketch, you can bring the toolbar up by double clicking on its name in the Features List, and this will again show the toolbar."

I didn't realize that you had to double click. That clarified things a lot.

Stanley

I use OnShape. It has a pretty steep learning curve. I think that is true of both Fusion360 and OnShape. Both have a substantial learning curve, but are much more capable than TinkerCAD.

For the free version, your designs (except for 1) are public.

Just my .02

One thing that may not have been mentioned is that Fusion 360 has a "free" version (has some limitations) and you can easily try it to see if it's something you are interested in. The only thing you'll lose is time...

Back