Maxi 4" Boyce Aerospace Hobbies Pershing Build Thread (1/10 scale)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sitting in my hotel room, and I just launched these today. Going to head back to my house tomorrow. I have 45 videos of various flights from the launch that I plan to post on you tube each week, but not all at once. They get more views when I stagger posting. Anyway, the reason I didn't post it here a minute ago is because the video was too long and it wouldn't let me. My video editing software wouldn't work. But now it is working, so here is the video:

Attachments

• Unstable Rocket Flight.mp4
    42.4 MB
The stability was supposedly margin 1.5, according to the Rocsim file I did, when I put in the CG I had measured on my rocket. My CG was also about where Frank Burkes' was, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. I will be more careful in the future.

Well, I guess it was unstable after all. :(

Today I flew it, resulting in the nose cone breaking in to pieces and the body tube shredded upon impact. Will never fly again. I did get a cool video for my you tube channel, and a good lesson learned: swing tests don't mean squat. Anyway, just make sure to add a LOT of nose weight. I mean A LOT

View attachment 643772
View attachment 643773
View attachment 643774
So sorry to hear of your ill fated flight.
I’ve purchased blue tube for my build, hoping to add durability. I’m considering lead shot mixed with epoxy for nosecone weight.

Look at your video frame by frame at ignition. I once had a very stable Nike X go sideways. Wtf? We noted the shape of the plume wasn't symmetrical. This was a Quest D20W a long time ago.

Yes, the Quest D20s are purposely built for the nozzle to erode for safety reasons, which doesn't always go as planned. I have launched them before and they tend to go at a slight angle because of this.

I have already looked for that, and it was unstable. The motor did what it was supposed to.

Possibly the printed plastic didn't hold the nose weight? When I did v1 of the mini-magg, I cleaned the interior of the nose cone with soap, water, and then high grade alcohol. Did the wooden dowel through the nose (HATE doing that, it adds lots of finishing work) and then Aeropoxy and BB's. This held even though its last flight was ugly - it's where I figured out (after 3 rockets) that my Jolly Logic truly didn't work. Sigh.

It could be the printed plastic wasn't compatible with the glue or something like that.

On the swing test, they are pretty unforgiving but may not simulate a high wind day. Usually a swing test is 100% to me.

Sorry - it looked absolutely perfect. I did the BT80 version and never got around to flying it.

Cheers / Robert

I actually just used clay weight for the nose, which stuck OK. It was all still there in the top of the nose when I recovered the remains of the rocket.

Back