Legal question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRE

Reaction score
Advice please folks.

I have been buying, storing, transporting off the shelf Estes motors, soon to be accompanied by Klima and CTI (29mm, F, G and one day H) in small quantities (under 5kg) and have just freaked out reading up on the legislation that appears to cover theses materials!

Referring to the UKRA site it suggests that I only require and RCA from the HSE for movement and no other considerations in respect of storage or possession (https://www.ukra.org.uk/legal) but in the handbook it appears to tell me that no matter what I also need an Explosives Licence from the police and Registered Store Certificate from my local fire brigade? (Sections 2.1-2.4 Certification)

Can anyone give me a definitive answer please? I am enjoying my rocketry, I have got permission for local launch sites, I have my BMFA insurance in place. Last thing I need is a legal hassle through ignorance, conversely I do not want to jump through hoops that are not required.

If I do join UKRA will that change things? i.e. require me to jump?

Hi John,

You do not require an explosives licence for any of the motors in question. An explosives licence is only required for motors with 1KG or over of net propellant. You are way under that. You will require an RCA for the F,G and H motors. This is free and the letter that the HSE requires you to send to them to apply for one is on their website here:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/transfer-of-explosives.htm

Joining UKRA would make no difference, you'd still need an RCA in order to purchase motors other than Estes and Klima.

You can legally use F, G and H power motors at launch events without an RCA, you just can't transport them.

So for example you can buy an F, G or H power motor from a vendor at a launch event and use it on the day. What you can't do is take it home with you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clear advice Simon, better than I have managed from 2 regional Firearms & Explosives departments.

RCA applied for (though way ahead of time, I really do not see any F, G or H motors for some months to come).

Thank you once again. John

Back