Flew Rockets Saturday -- I'm Tired!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Reep

Reaction score
After at least a 6 month hiatus from flying, I decided to start small, and test some really old Estes motors (ca. 1994).

Had a really ratty looking rocket, so put it up on an A8-3 (figuring if the motor did not work properly, no loss). My last launch was a complex "I" launch, so this was kinda refreshing ... :)

Next up was a Flying Jenny boost glider, same as I built in 1964. Used a B motor, and it glided steeply for 100 feet, then nose dived into ground. Ouch -- seems I built them better as a kid. Probably not enough glide testing.

I then proceeded up the alphabet to C and D, then a E and F reload in an old, scratch built BT-70 based rocket.

Lastly, the Easter Egg Initiator flew on a G64 reload for the first time in about 5 years!

Someone offered to loan me an H, but I was too worn out from walking all day in the hot sun. I guess I'm too used to the 1 flight per day (maybe 2) that seem so typical in the past couple years.

First, I'm glad you had a good time! :D.

Second, I hear you about being tired after a launch. Our high power fields usually mean walking through plowed fields. Between the uneven footing and pulling the ol' feets thru soft earth, my dogs are usually pretty worn out. An then there's the low/mid power field that my NAR club uses. In the summer there is a grove of rocket-eating trees that gets overgrown with stickery vines. Getting through them required lifting your legs over them. A few hours of rocket searching and the legs are dead. The last few launches haven't been tiring however.

Finally, I'll add my short launch report. Saturday was too windy and chilly for me so I ended up with only three flights. This was my day to launch al the low/mid power rockets that I thought my NAR club might have a problem with :rolleyes: I have several HPR motors on order but they hadn't arrived. I launched my Fireball XL5 on a G40, my DesconX entry the DC Pod Racer on a C6-3, and my all fiberglass rocket the 'Scuse Me (While I Kiss the Sky) on a USR 120G120-8. All good. After an hour of RSOing, I wanted to try my long rocket made out of styrofoam drinking cups, but it broke. At that point I was freezing and didn't try any more flights.

One neat thing. The prefect removes airbag systems from wrecked cars, recalls, etc, so he fired off probably 30 of them. I nabbed a couple. They will make good chute protectors and/or one honkin' deployment bag.

Lots of fun despite a long drive and less than perfect weather. Guess it doesn't take much to please me.

Latest posts

Back